Better Error Handling with Import Survey

More
1 year 8 months ago #129623 by litfincq
litfincq created the topic: Better Error Handling with Import Survey
Hi All,

(Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but...)

I have been messing around with Limesurvey's import a survey from file function (using Version 2.06+ Build 151205) and I was getting some very strange errors when importing tab-delimited files. I had a very hard time figuring out exactly what was causing them. It would have saved me a lot of time if the errors were more descriptive/were actually errors. I have listed examples below:

1. When importing a file which did not have the right structure (made in Excel 2003, switched to LibreOffice and it works fine) I got a "success" message with all the attribute values (questions, groups, etc) as "0". When I clicked on "Go to survey", I got a Page does not exist" message and the survey did not appear on the admin page. I would be nice if improper files generated an error, preferably directing the user to a page that explains about the whole Excel and CSV problem.

2. When importing a file which had a duplicate question number, I got a PHP error as opposed to a Limesurvey error. It was descriptive enough, but it would be nice if there was a proper Limesurvey error for this.

3. When importing a file with duplicate answer codes, I got an "error: array" Limesurvey message and nothing else. I checked my answer keys and there were no duplicates. However, I discovered by accident that answer keys are not case sensitive, where I assumed that they were since there was nothing in the documentation to the contrary. It would be nice if duplicate answer codes generated a specific error (as in, "Duplicate answer codes in question G01Q20" instead of the very generic "error: array" which could mean just about anything. It might also be a good idea to mention that answer codes are not case sensitive. (As an aside, the ability to have longer answer codes than 5 characters would be nice as well. 5 is not enough for a complicated survey. My university uses 8-character course codes, and it would be nice not to have to convert them to an arbitrary string just to deal with answer codes. Maybe 16 characters?)

Limesurvey is a great tool, don't get me wrong, but I think it still could use a few tweaks. Keep up the good work!

Yours,
Chris Litfin
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #129820 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Better Error Handling with Import Survey
TSV import is really hard actually to update, a lot of code and messy code. But this must be put in bug report i think (3 bug maybe).

WIth little file to test (1 or 2 question, please not more).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by DenisChenu.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now