Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format

More
2 years 1 month ago #126568 by rgiacolst
rgiacolst created the topic: Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format
Exporting data in excel xls format limits the export of 65536 rows and 255 columns. This limitation exists in the .xls format used until the Excel 2003. Is there any prediction implementation in export limesurvey in .xlsx format (Excel version 2007 and higher) or ods in 2.0 format (libreoffice 3.4 or above) where the column limit increased to 1048576 rows and 16384 columns per worksheet?
Currently a way around this problem is to export to csv and then import into excel / libreoffice-date, however, to lay users this process is a bit more complicated than simply export in spreadsheet format and open the file.
Here is the suggestion to implement the export to xlsx and / or later ods in order to get around this limitation.

Excel Version Rows Columns Excel Format
2003 65.536 256 .xls
2007 1.048.576 16,384 .xlsx
2010 1.048.576 16,384 .xlsx
2013 1.048.576 16,384 .xlsx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #126574 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format

rgiacolst wrote: ....
Here is the suggestion to implement the export to xlsx and / or later ods in order to get around this limitation.

This can be done adding a export Plugin system.

CSV do the trick, i never work on XLSX for free. LibreOffice user use CSV (else, maybe i do a plugin for free, when i have time) without issue then ods is not really needed.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
The following user(s) said Thank You: rgiacolst

More
2 years 1 month ago #126604 by rgiacolst
rgiacolst replied the topic: Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format
It is a suggestion. From my point of view would be a great feature to add, especially in the issue of disclosing the free office suites

More
2 years 1 month ago #126615 by holch
holch replied the topic: Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format
I actually would skip Excel all along as long as it only exports to XLS. Why would I export to XLS only to find out I am running into problems with the file limits and then have to export to CSV anyway. But I guess if we would exclude the XLS export there would be many complaints ("it worked before, why doesn't it work now?"). ;-)

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
2 years 1 month ago #126628 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Limitation of rows / columns in the export excel xls format

rgiacolst wrote: It is a suggestion. From my point of view would be a great feature to add, especially in the issue of disclosing the free office suites

Yes, i understand , but my free time is limited ... my child need to eat ....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!