Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?

More
2 years 8 months ago #118021 by david2013
david2013 created the topic: Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?
Is it possible to generate SPSS file (.sav) directly? Currently, we need to export syntax file and data file separately.

Any suggestion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #118038 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?
Currently I see problems with export of surveys with a lot of entries. It isn't a timeout problem, currently it seems to be limit with around 8-9MB of data. If the amount of data is bigger, you get a 3KB file delivered. I would expect more problems when generating the SAV directly too. The syntax is currently a bit buggy too. Strings are cut because the variables size is to small. The generation of the systax seems to parse not all entries correctly in terms of length.

In a first step I would like to see a export mask, which allows restriction of variables (like in the excel export) and to give the export file a certain name or schema.

Your idea is still worth to be discussed. But if I find a feature request good, the chance are very high that it won't be included in the next years. I joint this board 8 years ago and I can't remember feature requests being implemented that I supported strongly ;-)

More
2 years 8 months ago #118045 by holch
holch replied the topic: Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?
So, Jelo, please keep your fingers away. You really hate this idea, right? :-)

I think the problem with the SPSS export is, that probably none of the current developers is using SPSS. Which of course this makes chances that things get updated/changed smaller. It is a pitty, but somehow understandable with an open source software and a limited resource of developers.

As they don't live of it, they implement what is interesting for them. Not ideal, but totally understandable.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
2 years 8 months ago #118071 by fransmarcelissen
fransmarcelissen replied the topic: Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?
Hi,
It is quite simple to read the data directly from the mysql database into spss. I have done that some time ago and it works withing problems.
Frans Marcelissen (DigiPsy)

More
2 years 8 months ago #118094 by jelo

fransmarcelissen wrote: Hi,
It is quite simple to read the data directly from the mysql database into spss. I have done that some time ago and it works withing problems./quote]
Is that really easier for an enduser? Would like to get some infos about that workflow.

When importing plain text via a syntax file is not easy/comfortable enough, a direct connection from SPSS to MySQL will be easier? Often a direct connection to the MySQL server is not allowed. Credentials to import the tables are an issue too.

More
2 years 8 months ago #118326 by david2013
david2013 replied the topic: Generate SPSS (.sav) Directly?
@jelo: Other than Strings are cut and size can't get 8-9MB of data as you mentioned, is there any other problem you discover for SPSS? Regarding export mask, I think it's not too difficult to do. You can save any question you want in the database or in a text file. Every time export to SPSS, read it from database or textfile, and only export those questions. The export program is in application\helpers\export_helper.php I think.

@holch: I understand only limited developers, so it's okay if this is not possible for LS. But I want to post here in case someone know.

More
2 years 7 months ago #118751 by jelo

david2013 wrote: @jelo: Other than Strings are cut and size can't get 8-9MB of data as you mentioned, is there any other problem you discover for SPSS?

What else should go wrong ;-) I can tweak and workaround. I am used to using syntaxfiles to import data.
But the thread-starter might comparing LS to other solutions. And I can understand that this syntaxfile import is not well received everywhere. And since most users are no longer installing Limesurvey themselves, but pay for hosting/service anyway, there is no real competitive advantage over e.g. Surveygizmo or Fluidsurveys left for Limesurvey. Pricing is coming down, so the window of opportunities is closing faster. LS is lacking Questionstypes and export finetuning. I am on this board since 8 years but I don't have any clue where this project is heading. Perhaps a developer framework for surveys?

To implement export masks for every project via hacking the php files is not the route to go, when doing updates. There are alreay enough customized installations which won't be updated till they be replaced by SaaS.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!