Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Adding fields to questions and question groups

• carbonisle
  • carbonisle's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #186981 by carbonisle
Sometimes, its just a matter of knowing the right vocabulary. I would like to extend LimeSurvey (likely through plugin development) to include additional fields for questions and question groups. These fields will NOT be visible to the users taking the survey. I only need them stored in the database - either directly in the question table or in a supplemental table (exact table doesn't matter).

What functionality / feature should I be searching for on here that may help me find the answers I seek?
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 8 months ago #186982 by Joffm

These fields will NOT be visible to the users taking the survey. I only need them stored in the database

Why can't you just create some hidden questions or even groups?
Then they are in the answer table.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • carbonisle
  • carbonisle's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #186984 by carbonisle
Replied by carbonisle on topic Adding fields to questions and question groups
I need them directly related to the question. My end user may add additional questions, and I don't want to ask them to create bonus hidden questions to accompany the questions they add.

Think of it as a hidden "note" field for the question or a hidden "attribute."
For each question - there will be a series of "explanations" as to what the score means. I have an external script that reads the survey responses to create a report with these "explanations" based on the average score for that answer among all test takers.

For example:
One question group. 3 questions. Each question on a 1-10 scale.
100 respondents.
Question 1 has an average score of 7.3 - so my report would pull this hidden "note" or "attribute." The attribute would store info such as:
[1] People hate apples [5] Apples were the common choice [10] Everyone loves apples

And my external script would choose the [5] (closest without going over) and return "Apples were the common choice"

If I use extra questions and groups, it creates additional steps for the user. Whereas adding a field to the question keeps everything in one sensible place.

Does that clarify my goal?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose