Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Release 3.0.x: Stable? Don't think so

• pmonstad
  • pmonstad's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #162697 by pmonstad
Release 3.0.x: Stable? Don't think so was created by pmonstad
Hi! I have been Norwegian translator for LS for years. I'm kind of disappointed about the release of 3.0.x which is marked as stable. One thing: I find new bugs almost every time I log in and try to use it (NO, I do not run this in a production environment. Does anyone do??). I run 2.6.6. lts which is far more stable! And yes, I report every bug I run into.

Second thing is the lack of translation. I have completed translation for Norwegian bokmål and keeps it up to date as soon as new strings are added by you, developers. It is then very disappointing to find a lot of untranslated strings around the GUI. I report them as well, but my motivation to do so has started to decrease.

What struggles me is: I know several developers do have a mother language other than English: German, French and Swedish. Could you please test LS3 for around 5 minutes each to get an overview over the missing strings?

Bugs and missing translations are not a good start for new users trying LS for the first time. LS3 is NOT stable and a product to be proud of in its current release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 months ago #162698 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Release 3.0.x: Stable? Don't think so
Unfortunately in the last two years or so the definition of "stable" has changed among the project lead.

A philosophy was adopted that we also in a lot of other areas: "Release early, release often". I am not overly happy with this tendency either, but it seems that there are strong forces supporting this.

I also think that the release dates just at the end of the year is not ideal. Many users have a lot of other things to do than to test a new LS version before the end of the year. At least for me, the time around Christmas and the first weeks of the new year are usually the time when I don't have the time and even looking at the forum is becoming less during this time. I am sure this is very similar for others working in market(ing) research.

I am not sure if your request will be heard or considered.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #162703 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Release 3.0.x: Stable? Don't think so
It remains around 50 bugs right now in 3.x:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view_all_bug_page.php

None is critical, most are visual glitches or concern advanced features.
For now, LS3 is not offered in ComfortUpdate, so advanced users using advanced features are not concerned, they are still using their old version of LimeSurvey (2.x)

Front end strings has not been changed, so survey taking should be correctly translated. In admin interface, it remain some untranslated strings for the new features: nothing critical.

For LS new comers, it's far better to use LimeSurvey 3 rather than LS 2.X. The new survey themes engine allows easy customization of the design via options rather than CSS/JS/HTML hacks. The admin interface with the new left bar is easier to use and to understand. It has a first time tour that makes clear the architecture of the software. Also, we're rewriting all the documentation according to LS3, with LS3 screenshots, so it's easier for them to learn how to use the software. Most of them will not be impacted by the few lefting bugs in the admin interface

By the way: thank you for your bug reports, they are greatly appreciated. More bug reports on the Beta would have made the Master release bug free.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by LouisGac.
More
6 years 2 months ago #162788 by conor
Replied by conor on topic Release 3.0.x: Stable? Don't think so
This is an interesting post.

I have been running 3.0.2+180110 for about a week now and run into two issues. The biggest blocker for me is that I can't extract my responses. It's a real bummer as I want to export email addresses to MailChimp and overall results to excel for analysis.

Good point to move back to 2.x. In the interim, I feel like i'm going to need to script something to get my results out, oh well.
  • holch
  • Away
More
6 years 2 months ago #162790 by holch
Did you report this but? Because if it is not reported, it might not get fixed.

I assume that it is not reported, because Louis said:

None is critical, most are visual glitches or concern advanced features.

And I guess Louis would consider not being able to export results as "critical".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #162791 by LouisGac
If conor would have reported this bug, it would have been fixed by now...

And it's an advanced use of LimeSurvey, that clearly show that Conor is an advanced user who was already using 2.7x

So, thank you Conor for testing ls3 and reporting bugs, that help us a lot.
Also, feel free to make a donation
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by LouisGac.
  • holch
  • Away
More
6 years 2 months ago #162792 by holch
Well, I wouldn't consider exporting results an advanced use. I'd rather say it is pretty basic.

But: needs to be reported to get fixed.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #162793 by LouisGac
btw, export responses works just fine here.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose