Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #131767 by sohelt19
sohelt19 created the topic: Slow response in IE browser if we use regular expression for validation.
We are facing a problem to meet the client requirement. Requirement is;
User can enter anything in the input field but an error message will be shown if the input is wrong.

Our implementation is like below:
  • We make the question type array (text) and it has more than ten fields, like below:
  • We have added a regular expression to validate the input type in the validation field:
  • It is working fine in Chrome & Firefox
  • But it is responding very very slow in IE, even in the latest version IE11
  • I mean, it takes too much time to traverse from one field to another. And if we do it little bit fast then browser does not response at all.

Does anyone have the same experience? And does anyone have any solution on this?
It will be very helpful for us if we get the solution.

Thanks in Advanced
Sohel
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by sohelt19. Reason: Correction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #131769 by sohelt19
sohelt19 replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
We have a question type array (numbers) with 23 options. We have a validation that col2 can not be greater that col1.
We have implemented this by adding the logic in Question validation equation field but it becomes a huge equation as we have 23+23=46 input fields:

It is working fine in Chrome & Firefox, but it is responding very very slow in IE, even in the latest version IE11
I mean, it takes too much time to traverse from one field to another. And if we do it little bit fast then browser does not response at all.

I am new in Lime Survey, so do not know how to handle this? Is this the correct way to validate these type of fields? Or there are some other solution?

Thanks
Sohel
Attachments:

More
1 year 9 months ago #131784 by holch
holch replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
I brought these two together because to me it seems that it is referring to the same problem, isn't it?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
1 year 9 months ago #131860 by sohelt19
sohelt19 replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
Yes both are referring the same problem but causes are different. Thanks

More
1 year 9 months ago #131861 by sohelt19
Version 2.06+ Build 151018

IE11 under both Windows 1 & 10
FYI: It is happening in all versions of IE. I have checked this in IE8-11 and found the same problem.

Most probably IE could not execute the JS quickly as like as other browsers. Our most of the clients (90%) use different version of IE, so we have to find out the solution.

Thanks
Sohel

More
1 year 9 months ago #131868 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
Hi,

IE js is very slow since a long , long time. ANd have some bug.

But here : you have a lot of condition in same page: and this condition are added with a condition in the question : a condition on same group (QUestion code are blue).

1st step : move this question is in own group : then the condiotion is apply in PHP, not in JS.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
1 year 9 months ago #131869 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
You got check if a newer version of LS 2.06+ is showing the same behavior.
Without a testlink or a survey file I don't see a chance to provide any further help.
Not sure if Denis idea with the group helps. If I got your post right, the speed problem exists when designing the survey, not when conducting it.

More
1 year 9 months ago #131928 by holch
holch replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
I understood it like Denis, for me the problem he describes is when taking the survey. So we would need some clarification that.

But then, if it is when designing, a simple change of browser would resolve it quite quickly. Now this isn't a solution for the survey taking side though.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #132059 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Slow response in IE if we add validation equation for array (numbers) type field
For public part : there are a bug reported for slow javascript issue with

- Condition on an array text question : Y lines and X columns
- Filter on sub question in this array text.

Each time a condition was updated (then in same page) ; we test condition for
- The question
- Each cell in array : X*Y

Then put this question in own page fix the js issue (all is done in PHP).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: public

More
1 year 1 month ago #143238 by moresdar
moresdar replied the topic: Slow response in IE browser if we use regular expression for validation.
Hi,

We encountered a similar problem (very slow response using IE11 to tick boxes in the questionaire) with a survey that has conditions set for subquestions in a matrix question:

Our troublesome question follows this logic:
Question2(Matrix) only pops up if any of the subquestions in Question1 is equal to "3" (the third option of our scale). (see pic 1 attached)
AND: any subquestion of Question2 only pops up if the corresponding subquestion in Question1 (they both have the same number and type of subqestions) is equal to "3". (see pic 2 attached)

Both questions are on the same page/group.

One of our survey-tester raised awareness to this issue and it poses big problem since many of our customers are still working with IE and the usability of the survey is unacceptable for them.

Our first attempt to tackle this issue was to update Limesurvey. We now use Version 2.54.3 Build 161014 but it did not change anything. The problem also occurs with windows Edge but not with Firefox or Chrome.

Is there any advice how to fix this (ideally without having to change our survey structure)?!

I would be very greatful for any ideas.

Cheers, Moritz
Attachments:

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!