Invitation and Confirmation Email Not Arriving

More
2 years 3 months ago #124835 by rschipull
rschipull created the topic: Invitation and Confirmation Email Not Arriving
I think this is a fairly easy fix, just not sure which setting to change. I've tried taking my survey via laptop (connected to my Home Network) and via phone (which is not connected to my home network) and here are my results regarding the Invitation and Confirmation emails through a variety of scenarios:

1) Sign up with laptop --> No Invitation email arrives
2) Sign up with phone and take survey with laptop--> Invitation email arrives; Confirmation email does not
3) Sign up with phone and take survey with phone --> Invitation email arrives; Confirmation email arrives

Obviously, there is something with the emails not generating based on my home ip address. My survey is token based, public registration, and listed publicly.

Any ideas on what's going on?

thanks,

rob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124837 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Invitation and Confirmation Email Not Arriving
What installation of Limesurvey do you use? What E-Mailprovider is used for sending the E-Mails via Limesurvey?
Or are you using LimeSurvey Professional (previously LimeService).com?

Can someone move this thread. Development is not a suitable section.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124838 by rschipull
rschipull replied the topic: Invitation and Confirmation Email Not Arriving
My apologies for placing this post in the wrong forum.

Answers to your questions below:
1) Limesurvey installation: Version 2.06+ Build 150812
2) Email provider: Is through my web service provider. Emails go through fine as long as I'm not connected to my home network for some reason.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124876 by holch
holch replied the topic: Invitation and Confirmation Email Not Arriving
What do you mean with "as long as I'm not connectd to my home network"?

Is this a local installation or a installation on a real webserver hosted somewhere else?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
2 years 3 months ago #124877 by holch
Read your first post. Still don't get your setup.

What do you mean with "sign up"? Could you explain exactly what you are doing?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124880 by rschipull
Sure. By "sign up" I was referring to clicking on the link to initiate the survey. Once I click on the survey, I enter my Name and email address and wait for the invitation email to provide me with the link to take the survey. The survey I'm running is token based, public registration, and listed publicly.

The installation is on a webserver hosted by ipage. Per my post on a different thread, I was on the phone with ipage and they did not have any issue receiving the invitation email. I was not able to receive it yesterday when going through my home network, but am able to today. Yesterday, I was able to receive the invitation email via a mobile device not connected to my home network. A college of mine was having the same issue and he's located in another state.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124881 by holch
OK. So what is the email method you are using to send the emails from Limesurvey? PHP Mail? SMTP?

What is your email provider where you could not receive the emails (and the one of your colleague)?

More
2 years 3 months ago #124882 by rschipull
Email Method: PHP Mail

We tried several with no success yesterday: yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, etc.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #124883 by holch
PHP Mail can be a problem. Depending on the configuration of your server, many of the big providers will not accept emails sent via php mail, because they only accept emails from a properly configured mail server (which is impossible with php mail as far as I know).

I would always go with SMTP, because PHP mail will have a lot of problems getting through. And even with SMTP the mail server needs to be configured very well and not be located in an IP range with problematic neighbours. Sending emails in big amounts is becoming more and more problematic.

Do you have an email address from the server that you are hosting on? Try to send emails to addresses from this server / hoster. It will probably work, because the server won't filter out the own emails.

Sending emails, especially in bigger amounts is becoming more and more a science. Because you can easily be considered a spammer. Here a few examples:
-email server not correctly configured
-email server not responding correctly
-IP address in a suspicous IP range, especially with big hosters with easy deployment DigitalOcean, etc.
-A certain amount of wrong email addresses from the same email provider (can be a typo, account doesn't exist anymore, etc.) and you get blocked by them
-etc.

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by holch.

More
2 years 3 months ago #124891 by rschipull
This makes a lot of sense to me and explains how it worked yesterday and did not work today. I'll play around with some of the mail settings over the next few days to see if we can garner some consistency.

To answer your questions about the email address from the server we are hosting from: Yes, we are using an email address from the server we are hosting from. Yesterday, I actually did try what you suggested and the emails were in fact going through without issue. That's why I initially thought there was something wrong with my Limesurvey config.

More
2 years 2 months ago #126403 by rschipull
Holch,

I think we finally corrected the issue by using some of the tips you mentioned below. We changed the Email settings from PHP mail to SMTP and that seems to have solved our problem of some emails not being sent out during the registration process.

Thanks again for you help.

rob

More
2 years 2 months ago #126404 by holch
A well configures SMTP server will definitely help a lot and avoid many of the problems. Just make sure that you check your email list very well (spelling mistakes, etc.) and keep it up to date. less wrong emails sent, the lower the chance to burn the IP of your SMTP server.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!