GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?

More
2 years 4 months ago #123296 by jelo
jelo created the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Since Version 2.06+ Build 150731 is not available for download I tried a download from the GIT repository.
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/releases
The last version was Version 2.06+ Build 150730. But when using that file for an installation, I wasn't able to update via Comfortupdater.

"It seems you're using a version coming from the LimeSurvey GitHub repository. You can't use ComfortUpdate."
How can the build number be added to the installation. The released archives should be the same and even when they contain additional GIT files an update should be possible via Comfortupdater. We are only talking about GIT releases, not when you pull somewhere between two releases.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #123607 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Hi,

You need to manually set the build number in application/config/version.php (150731)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 years 4 months ago #123635 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Thanks for pointing that out.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #123653 by LouisGac
LouisGac replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
What to do :
If you want to force the ComfortUpdate to update a repository clone, as Denis told you, you must add a build number to your version.php. You must use the build number of the last version released before you cloned the repository.

Why :

The git repository is regularly updated (several times a day). You can see it here :
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/commits/master

A new build is created only under specific conditions : when some critical bugs have been corrected, or a new feature added, etc. A release has a build version. This build version is related to a specific commit on the repository. For example, the build released yesterday (150812) is related to the commit with the sha 54dd311aad37ed6ecb60cc39cf12babad424c1c7 . You can easily find those release on the commits list of the repository , they are named with this pattern : Release {release version} Build {build number}.

Of course, the new release, with a specific build number, will contain all the changes done since the last build. For example, the build before 150812 was 150731. 150731 is related to the commit 3b89c . So 150812 contains all the changes from this commit to 54dd311. The changelog step of the ComfortUpdate will display all the comments of the corresponding commits.

As you can understand now, each commit doesn't correspond to a LimeSurvey build. When you clone the LimeSurvey repository, most of the time, you'll have a LimeSurvey in a state between two releases. Then, it can't have a build number. That's why users should download the version on the LimeSurvey website rather than cloning the repository. Only developers, or debuggers, should clone the repository (and we need debuggers, so don't hesitate :lol: ).

If you want to force the ComfortUpdate to update a repository clone, as Denis told you, you must add a build number to your version.php. You must use the build number of the last version released before you cloned the repository.

For example, if you clone the repository after the release 150731, and you want to update to 150812 (or any later version), you must use the build number 150731. Of course, in this situation, the ComfortUpdate will warn you that some files already exist or were already modified by someone else ("The following files would be added by the update but already exist. This is very unusual and may be co-incidental.
We recommend that these files should be replaced by the update procedure
. ", "The following files will be modified or deleted but were already modified by someone else.
We recommend that these files should be replaced by the update procedure
. "). This is not a problem. It's just because you used a more recent commit of LimeSurvey than the one of the release. So you have a part of the new/changed files. The ComfotUpdate will overwrite them : no problem.

But : if you're using a more recent build number, the ComfortUpdate could not update all the files. For example, let's imagine after 150812 we have a new release with the build number 150814. You cloned the repository after 150731. You missed the 150812 update, and you want directly to update to 150814. If you change in version.php the build version to 150731 : no problem. But if you changed it to 150812, AND if a file has been changed between 150731 and 150812, AND has not been changed between 150812 and 150814, then the ComfortUpdate will not update it.

I hope those explanations make everything clear.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by LouisGac.

More
2 years 4 months ago #123655 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Thanks for explanation. I am aware of the issues, but good you posted it. A lot of user who will ask for the same have now a good post.Hopefully they'll take the time to read your post ;-)
I was frustrated that I couldn't get the download of the build that comfortupdater was providing.
So the path to add the buildnumber is what I needed.

Perhaps your post is that good that you should add it to the manual/wiki.
Thanks again!

More
2 years 3 months ago #123671 by Mazi
Mazi replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Thanks for this in depth explanation, Louis!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

More
2 years 2 months ago #125669 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: GIT Releases Builds not updatable via comfortupdater?
Maybe have the buildnumber in the github release can be a good idea.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!