Distribution update process

More
2 years 5 months ago #121660 by jelo
jelo created the topic: Distribution update process
When you installed 2.06+ (build 150611) before Jun 12,2015 you won't be offered the update.

Since 2.06+ received stable status only a few days ago the online update distribution seems to be still on hold.

When looking on such big fixes on the first day
Changes from 2.06+ (build 150611) to 2.06+ (build 150612) Jun 12, 2015
-Fixed issue: Unable to add answer options/subquestions or to edit quotas (Carsten Schmitz)

I wouldn't label 2.06 stable. For surveys which starts soon, you would normally stay on 2.05 for at least a few weeks.

To encourage more people to update a multi tier concept should be considered.
To illustrate a multi tier concept take a look at the distribution concept of cpanel
documentation.cpanel.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2719905

LTS Long-Term Support. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can select version for as long as it is supported
STABLE This version has received considerable public exposure, testing, and verification. Published least frequently.
RELEASE This version is feature-complete and well tested. It contains all intended features and functionality. New installations default to RELEASE. Published more frequently than STABLE.
CURRENT This version is tested and verified, but it may not contain all of the proposed functionality of a release. This tier is similar to the "release candidate" tier used under other publication schemes. Published more frequently than RELEASE.
EDGE This version only has rudimentary testing. The features are subject to further modification. This version usually lacks official public documentation.
Due to the dynamic nature of EDGE builds, only use EDGE to test for compatibility and functionality in a controlled environment. This tier is not recommended for production servers.

With the current concept the online update won't deliver any update at the moment (because 2.06 was marked stable).
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #125836 by Mazi
Mazi replied the topic: Distribution update process
One of the main problems is that nearly no one tests alpha or beta releases or RC versions. Of course, the development team tests everything carefully but you always have to keep in mind that Limesurvey offers roughly 100-200 different features. It is nearly impossible to check everything up front.
This is also the reason why new versions are not available at ComfortUpdate immediately.

We are always looking for a helping hand so if someone can offer creating a list of features and a kind of test protocol, you are very welcome.

Compared to other (far bigger) organizations we can't offer bug fixes for several old versions. We are simply missing the needed resources.
Now that there will be two full time coders I am pretty sure that bug fixing, especially once a new version was released, will be improved a lot. But please always help us by reporting bugs (jelo, I know you do that, thanks!).

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

More
2 years 2 months ago #125839 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Distribution update process

Mazi wrote: One of the main problems is that nearly no one tests alpha or beta releases or RC versions. Of course, the development team tests everything carefully but you always have to keep in mind that Limesurvey offers roughly 100-200 different features. It is nearly impossible to check everything up front.

You never can check everything.

Mazi wrote: This is also the reason why new versions are not available at ComfortUpdate immediately.

Which will reduce the people who tests alpha and betas further.
Which the current comfort update keys concept with update-limits in place, the different tiers wouldn't get much acceptance.

If you look at the regressions of 2.06+ I wouldn't call 2.06+ stable. There are way too many surprises. And to push people to 2.06+ when mantis is showing clear signs of bugs which might not only cause trouble for a minority it might be easier to reduce the pressure and wait six months before allowing a version to became stable.
The bigger survey software companies often don't update more that 2-3 times a year.

I don't see a problem to have config-setting, which allows to update on different tiers. To keep it easy no downgrade system should be expected or implemented. Free keys could be implemented for alpha testing and 30 days beta testing.

It will be interesting to see, if the comfort update keys will bring more people to the forum or not.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #125846 by LouisGac
LouisGac replied the topic: Distribution update process

jelo wrote: If you look at the regressions of 2.06+ I wouldn't call 2.06+ stable.

It is stable, in the programming sense of stable : the core code will not change anymore.
But you're right, there is still some bugs in 2.06+, like in 2.05. But for 99% of the users, it's working fine, the will never have problem with it.

jelo wrote: The bigger survey software companies often don't update more that 2-3 times a year.

Well that's a mistake. They should update as often as possible, because it's correcting the few bugs they could encounter.

jelo wrote: Free keys could be implemented for alpha testing and 30 days beta testing.

That's a very good idea, I totally agree. We yet spoke about it, and we'll probably do it.

jelo wrote: It will be interesting to see, if the comfort update keys will bring more people to the forum or not.

It is yet the case, less or more.

Whatever, thanks to people subscribing to the ComfortUpdate, LimeSurvey will evolve a lot in the coming year.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by LouisGac.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!