Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #84679 by freytheviking
freytheviking created the topic: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me in the following issue. I am trying to design a Multiple Choice question whose choices depend on a previous question. For example:

Question 1: What is the name of each person in your immediate family?
Blank 1: Max
Blank 2: Michelle
Blank 3: Martin
Blank 4: {blank}
Blank 5: {blank}
Blank 6: {blank}
etc.

Question 1 is designed using the built-in question type "Multiple Text."

Question 2: Please select the immediate family members who live in your residence.

For this question, I am currently using the question type "Multiple Choice" with the answer from Question 1 (persons in the family) as Subquestion/Choices options. The problem is with this is, the "blanks" show up as subquestions/choices as well. Is there a way to tell lime-survey to not include the blanks?

Thanks in advance for your help! Let me know if I can clarify further!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by freytheviking.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #84685 by TMSWhite
TMSWhite replied the topic: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer
Just use the array filter feature - it does exactly what you're asking.

Here is the sample survey

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...9561.lss
File Size:30 KB

Here is what it looks like running:

And here is how you get the second set of sub-questions to show the values you entered in the first question:

/Tom
Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #84718 by freytheviking
freytheviking replied the topic: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer

TMSWhite wrote: Just use the array filter feature - it does exactly what you're asking.

Here is the sample survey

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...9561.lss
File Size:30 KB

Here is what it looks like running:

And here is how you get the second set of sub-questions to show the values you entered in the first question:

/Tom

Thanks! I will try it out!

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #84720 by freytheviking
freytheviking replied the topic: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer
Tom,

I can't seem to be able to get it working. I tried the "Array Filter" option, entering "q01" (the previous question's code) as my source, but it gave me the same result as previously.

Here is a screen shot of my subquestions, output, as well as the "Advance Options" page. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Oh, and I'm using version 1.92+. Thanks in advance again!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by freytheviking.

More
4 years 11 months ago #84721 by TMSWhite
TMSWhite replied the topic: Multiple Choice - Restricting Answer Choices based on Answer
There are two likely possibilities:
(1) Is the first question actually "q01"? Filters are case sensitive, so if it is "Q01", the filter won't work.
(2) You are using an older version of 1.92+ (since it doesn't have Array Filter Style), so it is possible there is a bug in your version which has been fixed in more recent releases.

Did you already participate in our customer survey?

Don't miss your chance for great prices.

Please click here to participate:

Start now

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now