Maximum number of columns in export CSV files

More
5 years 6 months ago #81537 by larryg
larryg created the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files
Although I think this worked properly in previous versions, my 340 column survey will not export more than 255 columns in Limesurvey versions 191 and 192 . Pressing >Help gives me a message about Excel and spreadsheet programs being limited to 255 columns.

Two years ago, with the release of Microsoft Office 2010, and also in the newer version of OpenOffice, spreadsheets are no longer limited to 255 columns. There is no need to restrict Limesurvey exports to only 255 columns.

What can I do to increase the export columns beyond 255?

Thanks in advance for your response,

-larryg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #81540 by larryg
larryg replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
By adjusting the column values found on lines 189 and 213 of /admin/exportresults.php I can export all columns of my survey.

More
5 years 6 months ago #81549 by spacejanitor
spacejanitor replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
Larry - this might be the same thing I experienced as well, although I don't remember the exact version. I think you CAN export more than that, but what is happening is that columns past 255 are not automatically being SELECTED at the export screen.

Try scrolling down to the very bottom of the list of columns at the export screen. If it's the same thing that happened to me, you will notice they are no longer highlighted for export after a certain point. Just hit Ctrl-A and you should be ok.

Definitely had some stress figuring that issue out. Let me know if that's what it was.

I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!

More
5 years 6 months ago #81552 by larryg
larryg replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
Thanks for the thought, but no. I tried selecting all columns - it still only gave me 255.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #81553 by holch
holch replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
Well, I just recently exported about 1500 columns via LS 1.92 selecting all questions via the web interface into csv. Works like a charm. No problem.

Regarding the excel limit: you are right, this limit is obsolete with the latest versions of excel and openoffice. However, seems like the engine used for generating the excel files is focused on xls (vs. xlsx), which only supports 255 columns.

With CSV this should be no probleme though. Should work out of the box, because it definitely did for me.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by holch.

More
5 years 6 months ago #81645 by larryg
Holch - thanks for your help with this.

Just to make sure I'm not going crazy... I reset the values in exportresults.php to the original =255 and <256, and the vanilla CSV export truncated at 255 columns. When revised with new values of =512 and <513, all columns are now in the CSV file. At least in my installation of 192, I need those changes to get all of my columns out in even a CSV file.

Thanks again!

-larryg

More
5 years 6 months ago #81651 by Mazi
Mazi replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
Maybe someone can fill out a feature request asking for an export to XLSX to support newer Excel versions?

ideas.limesurvey.org

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

More
5 years 6 months ago #81671 by holch
holch replied the topic: Maximum number of columns in export CSV files - SOLVED
Sounds pretty weired to me. As a standard only the first 255 columns are marked when exporting. But when I mark all the available columns to the right in the export process, I get a file with all columns included. Of course, if I don't mark all columns to the right, only the first 255 get exported, as only these are marked from the begining.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!