Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Huge text field - limitation?

• eleonorabalbi
  • eleonorabalbi's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #179777 by eleonorabalbi
Huge text field - limitation? was created by eleonorabalbi
Hello

I am trying to copy the data of a study into the answer field "huge text field" but unfortunately the data seems too long and it is cut somewhere half way through in the output.

I know that there are limitations for the display of text in a question or the number of columns in the output but I didn't find any information in the manual nor in the forum about the maximum data/character that fits in an "huge text field" answer option. Can anyone help me with that one?

I am using Version 3.14.3.
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 2 months ago #179779 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Huge text field - limitation?
Depends on many things (e.g. the content or the database used).
If the content is not confidential try the demo of limesurvey here and check if the content can be pasted there without any issues.

It might be a issue with 3.14.3 as well.

The "content" you want to paste might needs to be checked and cleaned before pasting it into LimeSurvey. It might not be the amount of data but certain kind of data which prevents a complete transfer of the data into LimeSurvey.

E.g. paste just the part around the "cut" into the field to see if that works.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • eleonorabalbi
  • eleonorabalbi's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #179787 by eleonorabalbi
Replied by eleonorabalbi on topic Huge text field - limitation?
Thanks for your answer and the input that it can depend on the content type.

I am therefore clarifying a bit more: I am trying to run a study/experiment out of Limesurvey. The study is included into Limesurvey via an html-iframe and the data that is created in the experiment should be put into the answer field of the limesurvey question. It is json-encoded data but I tried it with csv-encoded data and run into the same problem there. It does work though if it is a shorter version of the study/experiment with less data.

I tried to put it into the demo version, but I think the iframe is not allowed there, or at least it doesn’t work. But I did check it on a Version 3.15.7 and I have the same problem there.
More
5 years 2 months ago #179789 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Huge text field - limitation?
You should attach an example of the data here or open a private bug report via bugtracker and attach an dataexample there. You won't get a fixed Kbyte or character limit as an answer here. Depending on the database behind, these limits can change.
If you get no error message from pasting, it will be hard to suggest wordarounds.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 2 months ago #179813 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Huge text field - limitation?
I know there are a topic about this …

And some caracter take a more more size than other …

Else DB dependant, for mysql : dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/storage-...storage-reqs-strings

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose