Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can't find "edit answer options" for five level array

• cpsyctc
  • cpsyctc's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #174494 by cpsyctc
I have just started using limesurvey again after many years away. I have installed it successfully on a Debian linux apache system and it seems to be working. I have version Version 3.14.8+180829. I have created a first survey, created survey groups, created a question in a survey group and given it the five level array format and created subquestions but I can't find how to change the answers from the default "1" to "5". Looking at the manual at manual.limesurvey.org/Label_sets#I_want_...ist_for_one_question it seems I ought to be seeing a button [edit answer options] but I can't see that.

I also need to set up seven level array and I guess I would do that through the answer options too.

I have tried searching but am not finding anything that seems to address my problem.

TIA,

Chris
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago #174508 by holch
You can't change the array with 5 levels, because then it wouldn't be a 5 answer option array anymore... ;-)[

Instead you should choose the normal "array" question type and create your own scale (answer options / label set).

At the end of the day, the "Array (5 point scale)" is just a very special case of the "Array" question type. You are much more flexible with the normal "Array" and can create any scale you want. I even use the normal array for 5 point scales. I just ignore the 5 point and the 10 point scale options.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• cpsyctc
  • cpsyctc's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #174516 by cpsyctc
Brilliant. Thanks so much holch. So obvious when someone points it out that it's embarrassing.

In my defence I had changed a question that I had started as "Array (5 point scale)" to "Array" and it's clear that if you do that the options for "Array" don't come up. That should probably be a bug. I'm happy to check it out with a tiny reproducible test and do a bug report if you agree.

Many thanks for your volunteer work here: hugely appreciated. Best wishes, Chris
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174522 by holch
Don't worry, you are not the first one. We get questions like: "I would like to do a 6/7/8/9 point scale, but I can only find 5 and 10 point scales."

I personally would actually get rid of the 5 and 10 point array, because you can create this by yourself quite easily with the array. But probably some people would complain and ask where the 5 and 10 point arrays are.

In my defence I had changed a question that I had started as "Array (5 point scale)" to "Array" and it's clear that if you do that the options for "Array" don't come up. That should probably be a bug. I'm happy to check it out with a tiny reproducible test and do a bug report if you agree.

I can't reproduce that. I just created a "array 5 point" question and then edited it and there is the option of "array", also on LimeSurvey Version 3.14.8+180829.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 6 months ago #174532 by jelo

holch wrote: I personally would actually get rid of the 5 and 10 point array, because you can create this by yourself quite easily with the array. But probably some people would complain and ask where the 5 and 10 point arrays are.

Removing them would be nice, but it seems nobody wants to code the additional stuff (e.g. when importing old surveys with these questions types already removed ;-).

Just open the bug. Will be a lot quicker to check via the bugtracker. You might just have looked at the wrong place for the subquestions.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 6 months ago #174557 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote:

holch wrote: But probably some people would complain and ask where the 5 and 10 point arrays are.

Removing them would be nice, but it seems nobody wants to code the additional stuff (e.g. when importing old surveys with these questions types already removed ;-).

Anf fix DB when update …

I prefer to work on moving time attribute to a clean plugin for example … this one have a lot of bad code …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • tpartner
More
5 years 6 months ago #174563 by tpartner
I have moved the hints up to right under the question description. Maybe that will help.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose