Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #174493 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

can confirm that two of the three continue to use a page by page view

Yes, most show question by question and it generally makes sense. But if you only use the question by question view you are taking yourself the flexibility to present more than one question on one page, when it makes sense.

E.g. a open-ended follow up question, or you have two tiny questions. then it makes often sense to present both on one page and not having people to load another page. This is also an outcome of UX, the shorter/less tedious you can make a survey, the better. And sometimes two (or even more questions on one page make simply sense. E.g. you are showing an image/video and you want them to answer a couple of questions. From a UX standpoint the scrolling (if even necessary) can be sometimes better than to have to load another page, etc.

So we are not saying that question by question doesn't make sense. But I would not focus purely on it. I see a lot of surveys everyday and they are often purely design (and I am not so much talking about graphic design). They are just not well designed in terms of usability.

It is always good to have an open mind and try to focus on the respondent. While in most cases question by question is preferable (I am sure Jelo and Denis will agree from their practice), it is nice to have the flexibility to show more than one question, when it makes sense.

Nicely looking questions are great to improve participation/completion (as long as the survey structure is also good) and I think there is a lot to improve out there. People like to answer surveys that look nice. But if they are poorly structured, you can't fix it with nice graphics.

I find your iniciative great and others do too, otherwise you wouldn't have that many responses here. However, I am not sure if you'll get a lot of good examples here (fingers crossed that you do, I want to see them too!).

Unfortunately many clients in market research are often not willing to pay the "extra buck" to make the survey looking nice. Often there is also no time, timelines are tight. That's why you propably won't find a great amount of beautiful layouts of surveys here yet. I know that Tammo is trying something there and I have seen a couple of people with some nice templates. However, they generally run one survey over a longer period of time and have the time (and budget) to spend a little bit more on the "beauty" of the survey. Unfortunately these people disappear as quickly from the forum as they appeared, once the survey is developed.

And then there is the target group of LS. Many people that use LS are students. If they are not students but use LS professionally there are two main target groups in my opinion:
- Companies that want it cheap. At the end of the day LS is for free if you install it on your own server. I have my doubts that they are concerned about the design of the survey.
- Companies that want to be able to install the survey system on their own server. Those are the ones that might be willing to go the extra mile and to develop a nice design for their surveys.

But let's hope that we'll see a few more nice examples of surveys here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by holch.
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 6 months ago #174497 by jelo

workloopteam wrote: "Beautiful" surveys focused on human centred design have been on the rise for many years. I doubt I'm the only person interested in seeing a much larger gallery of LS examples?

Surveys without proofreading and unclear wording have been on the rise too ;-)

The panels use mostly one question per page (cause they want to minimize the risk, that people don't read the text ;-). More than one question per page means to much text for most panel users, which get paid ten eurocent per minute.

This still takes nothing away from the polished survey theme you showed us here.
But even years after "Bonsai survey design" or "surveytainment" you won't see much improvement in surveys.
It's a timing and budget issue. And boring and unstyled surveys still work ;-)

question-science.blogspot.com/2016/06/th...l-communication.html
vimeo.com/94511582

I'm not sure if LS can be offering cutting edge. Some basic features are missing in my opinion.
Since you use the term CX. CX suites (Qualtrics) are using blocks of questions or little forms to collect data about a user during the websitevisit. Or people use CRM with survey addons (like HubSpot).

But back to surveys and LS.

Dennis Sewberath of Surveyfriendly did some experiments with LS which you would enjoy too.
Not sure if LS is still used as backend.
www.surveyfriendly.com/index.html#solutions

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
5 years 6 months ago #174499 by jelo
More about Dennis and his LimeSurvey experiments:
www.limesurvey.org/community/forums/desi...ng-one-by-one#162102

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174501 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

question-science.blogspot.com/2016/06/th...l-communication.html

Great link! Will have a read tonight.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose