Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174377 by workloopteam
workloopteam created the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions
Hi Community,
Wanted to start a post where Limesurvey’s (3.x) awesome flexibility is used to demonstrate visually clean and stunning template question designs (with full code/ config.) for everyone to benefit.

Attached is my view of a nice Welcome Page to a survey. Key points:
• Transparent background image = more engaging (Extend the bootstrap “Black Pearl” theme and insert a background image and logo in the simple options)
• Introduction page: (Goto survey settings “Presentation” and turn on “Show welcome screen”. Turn off the “Progress bar” as it’s untidy.)
• Remove the excessive gap between the navbar-header and question container by adding the following to custom.css (.space-col { margin-top: -3em; margin-bottom: 0em;})
• One page per question, so a user never has to align the question or answer on the page (Goto survey “general settings” select “question by question”)
• Central justified and use less than 50% Width of the screen (for a desktop). In custom.css enter the following:
/* controls the width of the question container */
@media (min-width: 992px) {#outerframeContainer { width: 50%;}}
• Replaced “Next” and “Previous” with “<” and “>” as icons are always better than words. (Find and replace in navigator.twig)

If I was technically able, I’d change the colour of the “>” so it turns dark on hover and then flashes when selected (feel free to update code if you know how) prior to moving onto next page.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac, f_funke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174378 by workloopteam
workloopteam replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions
am particularly interested if persons have been able to build quality question types (or alternatives) such as mocked up examples in the attach ment.
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174402 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions
Tpartner has released question themes. Perhaps a bit more focused on technical aspects.
github.com/tpartner?tab=repositories
We see still need for improvement in the theme system (e.g. offering more access to variables).

I sometimes wonder, why certain defaults in LS (e.g excessive gap) are not changing.
My impression is that the excessive gap is not very popular ;-)

Are you a student conducting a survey? If yes, tell me why you use LimeSurvey?
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116...y-you-use-limesurvey

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174404 by LouisGac
LouisGac replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions
thank you for sharing !

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174406 by jelo

workloopteam wrote: One page per question, so a user never has to align the question or answer on the page (Goto survey “general settings” select “question by question”)

I still recommend to use Group mode. You will often only add one question, but you sometimes have workarounds with hidden questions. So Group mode should be preferred.

Can you provide a negative example when it comes to need for alignment?

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174425 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

jelo wrote: I still recommend to use Group mode.

Same, always group mode !

Even if there are only one question by group. If you just need to add a «please explain» short text : best in same page.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174430 by holch
holch replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions

icons are always better than words

This is also not true. At least if you insist on the "always". User testing shows that icons can be far worse than words. Because icons are not always clear. In this case here I think it is quite straight forward and makes total sense to use icons, but I am not convinced by "always icons".

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174445 by DenisChenu

holch wrote:

icons are always better than words

This is also not true. At least if you insist on the "always". User testing shows that icons can be far worse than words. Because icons are not always clear. In this case here I think it is quite straight forward and makes total sense to use icons, but I am not convinced by "always icons".

One of the bad behaviour of previous limesurvey admin is : icon only, then hard to know what each button do :)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174448 by holch
Exactly. Some icons are very clear and hard to confuse. Like the back and forth arrows. But if you try to force icons for everything, things get often messy, because sometimes there are no clear symbols for specific things. And people don't get what an icon means. Anyway, I think workloopteam actually didn't mean it exactly as he/she said. So let's not continue hacking on that single "allways" in the sentence. In the case he/she mentions I agree, the arrows are probably very easy to understand and quicker for the brain to process than the buttons with text.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #174449 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: … the arrows are probably very easy to understand and quicker for the brain to process than the buttons with text.

Still need a string for accessibility :), and remind to inverse arrow for rtl template too …

Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by DenisChenu.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174451 by holch

Still need a string for accessibility :),

Agreed.

and remind to inverse arrow for rtl template too …

Good one. But I guess for many people here it is irrelevant. Me for example. I have never run a survey with rtl languages.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174488 by workloopteam
workloopteam replied the topic: Showcase Beautiful LimeSurvey CX Questions
Hi Team.

Just signed up to three of the largest online sites (Valued Opinions, Toluna and IPSOS) where completion rates materially affect $$$.... and can confirm that two of the three continue to use a page by page view - They were also extremely visual and image based in collecting information. The third site wasn't working.

Either way, this is less interesting that seeing examples of cutting edge LS design/ UX led question types i.e. strong use of images, .js interaction and minimal scrolling/ button clicks by users.

"Beautiful" surveys focused on human centred design have been on the rise for many years. I doubt I'm the only person interested in seeing a much larger gallery of LS examples?

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #174493 by holch

can confirm that two of the three continue to use a page by page view

Yes, most show question by question and it generally makes sense. But if you only use the question by question view you are taking yourself the flexibility to present more than one question on one page, when it makes sense.

E.g. a open-ended follow up question, or you have two tiny questions. then it makes often sense to present both on one page and not having people to load another page. This is also an outcome of UX, the shorter/less tedious you can make a survey, the better. And sometimes two (or even more questions on one page make simply sense. E.g. you are showing an image/video and you want them to answer a couple of questions. From a UX standpoint the scrolling (if even necessary) can be sometimes better than to have to load another page, etc.

So we are not saying that question by question doesn't make sense. But I would not focus purely on it. I see a lot of surveys everyday and they are often purely design (and I am not so much talking about graphic design). They are just not well designed in terms of usability.

It is always good to have an open mind and try to focus on the respondent. While in most cases question by question is preferable (I am sure Jelo and Denis will agree from their practice), it is nice to have the flexibility to show more than one question, when it makes sense.

Nicely looking questions are great to improve participation/completion (as long as the survey structure is also good) and I think there is a lot to improve out there. People like to answer surveys that look nice. But if they are poorly structured, you can't fix it with nice graphics.

I find your iniciative great and others do too, otherwise you wouldn't have that many responses here. However, I am not sure if you'll get a lot of good examples here (fingers crossed that you do, I want to see them too!).

Unfortunately many clients in market research are often not willing to pay the "extra buck" to make the survey looking nice. Often there is also no time, timelines are tight. That's why you propably won't find a great amount of beautiful layouts of surveys here yet. I know that Tammo is trying something there and I have seen a couple of people with some nice templates. However, they generally run one survey over a longer period of time and have the time (and budget) to spend a little bit more on the "beauty" of the survey. Unfortunately these people disappear as quickly from the forum as they appeared, once the survey is developed.

And then there is the target group of LS. Many people that use LS are students. If they are not students but use LS professionally there are two main target groups in my opinion:
- Companies that want it cheap. At the end of the day LS is for free if you install it on your own server. I have my doubts that they are concerned about the design of the survey.
- Companies that want to be able to install the survey system on their own server. Those are the ones that might be willing to go the extra mile and to develop a nice design for their surveys.

But let's hope that we'll see a few more nice examples of surveys here.

Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by holch.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174497 by jelo

workloopteam wrote: "Beautiful" surveys focused on human centred design have been on the rise for many years. I doubt I'm the only person interested in seeing a much larger gallery of LS examples?

Surveys without proofreading and unclear wording have been on the rise too ;-)

The panels use mostly one question per page (cause they want to minimize the risk, that people don't read the text ;-). More than one question per page means to much text for most panel users, which get paid ten eurocent per minute.

This still takes nothing away from the polished survey theme you showed us here.
But even years after "Bonsai survey design" or "surveytainment" you won't see much improvement in surveys.
It's a timing and budget issue. And boring and unstyled surveys still work ;-)

question-science.blogspot.com/2016/06/th...l-communication.html
vimeo.com/94511582

I'm not sure if LS can be offering cutting edge. Some basic features are missing in my opinion.
Since you use the term CX. CX suites (Qualtrics) are using blocks of questions or little forms to collect data about a user during the websitevisit. Or people use CRM with survey addons (like HubSpot).

But back to surveys and LS.

Dennis Sewberath of Surveyfriendly did some experiments with LS which you would enjoy too.
Not sure if LS is still used as backend.
www.surveyfriendly.com/index.html#solutions

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #174499 by jelo
More about Dennis and his LimeSurvey experiments:
www.limesurvey.org/community/forums/desi...ng-one-by-one#162102

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!