Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to edit the warning message?

• remhk
  • remhk's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #167177 by remhk
How to edit the warning message? was created by remhk
I have a question (question type- multiple choice) that displays items based on the user's selection in the previous question. For this this question (the multiple choice one), the user needs to be allowed to make only 1 choice out of the multiple items. I have worked out the logic and have selected the maximum answer as "1" in the settings and the logic seems to work fine. However, although I have set the "Hide" tip option "On" for the question, the user keeps getting two contrary warming messages flashing on the screen saying - "Check all that apply" and "Please answer atmost one answer". I would like to only prompt the user the later one-"Please select one answer". How to I get rid of the "Check all that apply" warning message?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #167178 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How to edit the warning message?
Why don't you use the correct question type (list radio), which only allows one answer from the beginning?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• remhk
More
5 years 11 months ago #167227 by remhk
Replied by remhk on topic How to edit the warning message?
I tried the radio button option but due to the dependency on the earlier qs, multiple choice was the easy choice.
In the previos qs, I have 17 items (bullets), the user can select as many as he wants from the item nos. 1-16 or the 17th one is the "none" option. Based on the selection out of the 1-16 items, the selected items need to populate for this question and the user has to select one out of them. So i need to add a relevance question here for each of the items 1-16 from the earlier qs. This was not possible with the radio button choice hence i chose the "multiple choice" option.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #167230 by holch
Replied by holch on topic How to edit the warning message?
Just wanted to tell you off right now, because you could use the array filter setting which would be a lot easier for you. However, array filter still seems not to exist for single answer questions like the list(radio). Can't believe we don't have this yet!

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• remhk
More
5 years 11 months ago #167231 by remhk
So whats the best option? Can you help me with atleast how I can take off the "check all that apply" message?

Thanks,
Manisha
  • Joffm
More
5 years 11 months ago #167245 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic How to edit the warning message?
Hi,
as holch said:
Use a single punch question and set the array filter of this question to your multiple question.
And read the manual about question types
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Li...r_.28array_filter.29

attached example

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...2463.lss
File Size:23 KB

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
5 years 11 months ago #167281 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic How to edit the warning message?

However, although I have set the "Hide" tip option "On" for the question, the user keeps getting two contrary warming messages

What LimeSurvey version are you using? I do not find this to be the case in version 3.6.2.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • remhk
More
5 years 11 months ago #167320 by remhk
The version we are using is follows-

Version 2.62.2+170203
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
5 years 11 months ago #167326 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic How to edit the warning message?
I cannot test in that version but I did test in version 2.73.0 and hiding the tip works as expected. I suggest you update.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • remhk
More
5 years 11 months ago #167327 by remhk
Yes, the hide tip option does work in this version and is working for all my questions. However, for this second qs the way I had to design it -
"Based on the selection out of the 1-16 items, the selected items need to populate for this question and the user has to select one of them only. So I need to add a relevance question here for each of the items 1-16 from the earlier qs. This was not possible with the radio button choice hence I chose the "multiple choice" option".
If I don't limit the selection to just "1" answer using the "Maximum answer=1" option in the question and if I user the "Hide tip" option then option does hide the tip like other questions. However, due to the limit to just 1 answer, if the user selects two choices, the system flags bboth messages "Please check all that apply" and "Choose only 1 option". Then the tip is shown even if the "Hide" tip option is ON. This is the issue.
  • Joffm
More
5 years 11 months ago #167329 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic How to edit the warning message?
Hi, remhk,

now it's more the academic question to hide this message, isn't it.

We showed you that you are using the wrong question type in your second question.
It's only a single punch question, so use it.

So I need to add a relevance question here for each of the items 1-16 from the earlier qs

You do not; just use array filter.

Then you get the following:

But nevertheless (if you really want to stay to your preconception)
In the example also is this question type:

As you see there is only a warning text if the respondent selects more than one option.
To achieve that enter in the question text (of course in source code mode)
Code:
<style type="text/css">
.emtip.good {
  display: none;
}
</style>

Here i again attach an example survey to show.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...4-14.lss
File Size:29 KB

Regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • remhk
More
5 years 11 months ago #167828 by remhk
Thanks for the reply. It did serve my purpose. However in the sample survey you sent, the first multiple choice question, I need it to be "multiple choice with comments" since one bullet (bullet 16 )needs a comment box ; is it ok if I select "Multiple choice with comments", will it work?

Also, in this "multiple choice with comment" question, if the user selects the bullet 17 ie "None of the above", all the other bullets should be disabled. Can we do that?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose