Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

mail sending error: Could not instantiate mail function

• drsnaggl
  • drsnaggl's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #124165 by drsnaggl
Hi,

I am not sure, if this topic is right here, but I didn't find any better catagory.
I have the same problem as several people already mentioned in this forum. Unfortunately there is no help in sight...

LS is 2.06+ Build 150629
It is installed on a websurver.
I use php.
What did I do:
I added users, created tokens and wanted to send invites. It work for 4 test users. (I had other issues e.g. email presentation as the recipient or SPAM; which I solved). As I added a 5th test user sending email was not possbile anymore. I tried it with another survey on my installation and also deleted and added again users.
the following error occurs:

"Could not instantiate mail function."

I worked several days to fix a lot of issues with LS and now in the end this happens. I am exhausted and should have started my survey days ago. Please please help!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 7 months ago #124171 by holch
Which method are you using for sending the mails from PHP? the PHP mail function or SMTP? To me it seems that you run into some spam control of your server or your email provider. Many hosts block the mail function when they see that a lot of emails are sent and many mail providers also block applications to send emails through their smtp interface.

Because you said that 4 emails have been sent, but then it stopped working with this error message. I would ask my hosting company.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 years 7 months ago #124190 by jelo

holch wrote: To me it seems that you run into some spam control of your server or your email provider.

The different posts about this issue don't look to me like a SMTP block providerwise. The error message would be different. The mailfunction would at least be instantiated. This looks like a bug. First signs that the newest update of LS2.06 fixed the issue.

So please update LS 2.6 to build 150825.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
More
8 years 7 months ago #124192 by holch
Thanks for the update. Let's see.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• drsnaggl
  • drsnaggl's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #125708 by drsnaggl
in my case, it turned out to be an issue of different settings with the provider (one.com); if you don't use their settings and your domains email, you are limited.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose