Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Quotas for partial survey

• paulescobar
  • paulescobar's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #118818 by paulescobar
Quotas for partial survey was created by paulescobar
Hi,

I'm Paul. I work in a market research company. Normally we work with LimeSurvey. In one of the projects that we working with the LimeSurvey we have found with a problem. I explain that we want and you say me if I can get it with LimeSurvey and how.
I use an example. The survey will be:

Start survey.
Question 1. Which of the following mail services you use?
Answers (multiple).
[] Google – Gmail.
[] Yahoo.
[] Microsoft – Outlook.

Question 2. ...
Question 3. ...

End survey.

My problems begins with the quotas. The quotas are determined by the answers in the question 1. I need 20 observations for each mail services. But the responses are multiple. If the respondent answer only one question he count as one more in the count for the services mail that he selected. If he answer two options he count one more for each of two options selected. So far according. When a quota is met, for example Google, I need that when the survey is conducted to a respondent that answers Google and Yahoo, close all next questions related with Google and continuous with the questions referred to Yahoo. What happens now is that if the respondent answers Google and Yahoo as the quota for Google is met, the survey for this respondent is ended. Can I do this with the LimeSurvey? If I can't do this with LimeSurvey, could you recommend another surveys platform that can do this?
I need a quick response because the project is underway. Thank you so much in advance.

Paul.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by paulescobar.
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #118822 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Quotas for partial survey

paulescobar wrote: The quotas are determined by the answers in the question 1. I need 20 observations for each mail services. But the responses are multiple.

Limesurvey isn't strong in the quota functions. But to switch tools for that problem might be complicated? Or do you want to use a SaaS service? I don't know surveytools in the category <200 USD per month that offer quotas with a prioritization matrix.

Perhaps we should put a price tag on a feature request to add more quota functionality to Limesurvey.

To get an impression of what Limesurvey is missing take a look at e.g.
www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/S...tization.htm?lang=en

Qualtrics ( starting at 2500 USD - 5000 USD per year)
www.qualtrics.com/university/researchsui...ultipleMatchHandling

Back to your problem.
I would solve it in a different way.

First you ask, what email services are used.
In a second question you ask, which email service is used the most (as a main account).
You build your quotas on the second question.
That way, you get a better answer quality and keep length of the survey short.
But if you are short on respondents you might cannot go that route.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by jelo.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #118825 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Quotas for partial survey
I assume the problem is simply the dominance of Google, which means the "Google" quota probably fills extremely quick, while other quotas might not.

Maybe you can create a work around for this. If you know already that one has a very high incidence (e.g. Google) you could create the quota on a question filled by an equation / javascript.

Let's say you fear that Yahoo will be mentioned significantly less than Google, then you don't want a to loose a dual user on Google, because you'll fill this quota quickly, while the Yahoo users is rare and this much more valuable.

So if someone marks Google AND Yahoo, you might want then rather for the Yahoo branch, then the Google branch. This is how I understand your problem.

So what you could do is write an expression that checks if more than one is marked and then mark inanother question (hidden) the one provider from the list that is most valuable. In this case Yahoo. If Yahoo is checked, you mark it in the hidden single choice question and move on. The quota is then triggered on this question. If Yahoo is not mentioned you check for the next most valuable provider and proceed the same way.

Problem is that when it is very common that more than one provider is marked, you might run into quotas quite quickly and you would have to check regularily. But I think if you use an expression, you can adapt this equation througout the survey without having to deactivate the survey (not sure, needs to be tested). So once a quota is full, you adapt the expression and adapt it accordingly, so that it is not checked for this provider anymore and directly go to the next important one.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose