Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Surveys on Tablets/Laptops without web access

• abita1
  • abita1's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #108358 by abita1
I've used LimeSurvey in the past, and comfortable with its use, but I have a project which requires moderately simple surveys (some vectoring depending on answers), which would execute in environments without web access.

This project would contemplate stand-alone computers with participants entering responses to surveys, or hand-held devices used by interviewers. The latter is a primary choice.

I don't want to set up local servers, WAMP or whatever, on each device -- but this is the only work around I contemplate. And it surely is a terrible solution.

Anyone have any suggestions for software/hardware combinations or software solutions that might work on Laptops or tablets? Apps?

An improvement would include surveys that can execute locally, but the designed system would automatically upload answer sets when the device discovers WiFi access.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 10 months ago #108359 by holch
I don't see any other chance than to run local webservers on each computer. But some other CAPI software (like SSI) doesn't do this different.

I have sucessfully installed Limesurvey on a Motorola Zoom tablet via a app that installs basically a Apache/PHP/Mysql enviroment on the tablet.

Automatical upload is not available. You would need to program something yourself.

The app that I was using is Androphp.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
9 years 10 months ago #108361 by c_schmitz
Replied by c_schmitz on topic Surveys on Tablets/Laptops without web access

holch wrote: Automatic upload is not available. You would need to program something yourself.

The app that I was using is Androphp.

I am pretty sure that some of the LimeSurvey Partners ( www.limesurvey.com ) already have experience (and can provide software) for the automatic upload part.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
More
9 years 10 months ago #108426 by jelo

abita1 wrote: I don't want to set up local servers, WAMP or whatever, on each device -- but this is the only work around I contemplate. And it surely is a terrible solution.

Some of the biggest names in commercial survey software ofter their websoftware in that way for CAPI.
They don't use PHP but Perl. They programmed a windows tool, that starts/stop a local apache and offer some buttons that allows a nontechnical person to install a new surveypackage and export the results in a file. The tricky part ist, that you can distribute the same survey on many Windows PCs and they ensure that the IDs of the filled out questionnaires are unique when merging the results.

Works robust since years. So you way is not that terrible. Let's ask around if there is a way to attract a programmer to provide such an addon.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose