Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Please help me identify if LimeSurvey is the solution for my needs...

• royal_art
  • royal_art's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago #103111 by royal_art
Hello All,

I know the subject line looks pretty odd and vague, but that's exactly the reason why I'm here. I'm looking to setup a website like Survey Monkey where Users can login (or create accounts) and create their own Survey. Each Survey will have its own URL which Users will be able to pass on to their peers to conduct their private surveys.

I see LimeSurvey has everything which I'm looking for; however, I'm not sure if LimeSurvey allows Users to create their own Surveys and see only their own Surveys in their Admin panel. If anyhow LimeSurvey is able to do this, my task is done.

Waiting for your reply...

Cheers,

\r
The topic has been locked.
  • fransmarcelissen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #103113 by fransmarcelissen
Hi,
That depends on what you mean by "users". Only administrators can create and activate surveys. When you create an administrator, you can define the rights in such a way that he can create surveys and sees only his own surveys. But of course he must have the knowledge how to create and administer surveys. I would not call him a user. Is that what you are looking for?
Frans
The following user(s) said Thank You: royal_art
More
10 years 2 months ago #103115 by supercosh
Hello,

A self-signup for the limesurvey backend is not provided. You'll have to write a self-signup routine by your own, however this is quite an easy task if you have access to the database. It's the way how www.dreifragen.net works, btw.

Regards,
Gregor
  • royal_art
More
10 years 2 months ago #103117 by royal_art
Wow... both the replies above are really encouraging!!

First, I'm sorry for using the word "User" too casually here. Yes, I mean "Administrator" who will be able to create/edit/delete Surveys and see only those Surveys which are created by the Admin. However, I see one small issue here... Administrator will also have an access to the Settings of LimeSurvey installation. Perhaps one User as "Super Admin" and other accounts as "Admin" will serve my purpose.

Thanks so much for the hint for creating Self-Login (or creating accounts to have access to backend). Yes, I do have access to the Database, so I'm glad to see the possibility to create self-login for LimeSurvey.

I'm new to LimeSurvey and currently going through the system to get the feel of it. Can you please shade some light on the issue I mentioned above regarding Admin account and rights?

Cheers,

Ross.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 2 months ago #103118 by holch
Hi Frans,

It is not true that only administrators can create surveys.

Normal registered users (NOT respondents), given that they receive the rights can create surveys as well.

This is common practice and I have only one administrator here, but various users with limited rights, but of course the right to create surveys.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• fransmarcelissen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 2 months ago #103120 by fransmarcelissen
Hi Holch,
I consider the terms "user" and "administrator" as confusing. At least in 2.05 a user who manages a survey is called a "survey administrator". You call him a "user". I suppose what you call an "administrator" is someone with the permission of "super administrator". I think the term "user" gives an impression that this is someone who uses the system without any further persmission, and indeed, that is a respondent.
Frans
  • fransmarcelissen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #103121 by fransmarcelissen
Hi Ross,
I would say: just try. You can give a user any rights (including no rights) that you want. If you want a user just to have the right to create/edit/delete his own surveys, and no other super administrators rights, no problem. Maybe it is time to read the documentation?
If you compare limesurvey with surveymonkey: that is not fair, limesurvey is much-much better in any aspect. I would say: if you love (expensive....) peanuts: consider survey monkey. Else take Limesurvey.
Frans
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by fransmarcelissen.
  • holch
More
10 years 2 months ago #103133 by holch
Hi Frans,

I agree that the term "user" in Limesurvey can be confusing. For me a Limesurvey-"User" is someone who logs into the admin interface. People who only fill in surveys are "respondents" or "participants" for me. But I can totally agree with you, that user in Limesurvey can be confusing.

And the terms administrator and user are also not very clearly defined / separated in the newer versions. There is the "username", there is "manage survey administrators", there is "edit user", etc.

And I also agree with your: "Try it". Limesurvey is a very mighty tool that has features you can only find in some expensive pro survey suites.

@Ross:
The only thing were Limesurvey is lacking in my opinion is the design and also the usability (but this has gotten better already). However, if you want to work with it, you learn it pretty quick and once you have reached a certain level of knowledge you will be soon able to create quite complicated surveys.

However, be prepared: You will have to take care of the installation, server administration, updates, etc. It isn't overly complicated and doesn't take much time if everything runs smooth, but you should know this and take this into account when starting. But as you want to provide it as a service like Surveymonkey, I assume that you are prepared and willing to learn and invest some time, as with any other business.

Otherwise you could always use Limeservice.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• royal_art
More
10 years 2 months ago #103308 by royal_art
Thanks so much for your informative messages guys. This has helped me a lot not only to understand the LimeSurvey but also to check the possibilities to see if I can achieve my goal using LimeSurvey.

Yes, now it's time for me to dive into Documentation and I've already started to read the documentation. This system is new to me and I'm loving the way it's setup and the way database is normalized. Big thumbs up to the developers.

As far as design is concerned, I noticed it's not that difficult to setup a new design for LimeSurvey; surely will take far less time than writing PHP code to setup a system like LimeSurvey. :)

Sorry, but I never intended to compare LimeSurvey with SurveyMonkey; SurveyMonkey was just an example to let the fellow Forum Members know what I'm trying to setup. Each of these programs may have its own Pros and Cons; but importantly LimeSurvey seems to be the right path to follow for me.

Again, thanks so much for your informative replies and I'm still new to this system; so I may need your continued support to understand a few aspects of this program. Truly a pleasure to have you all around.

Cheers,

Ross.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose