Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Changing subquestion code into custom code

• agnesch
  • agnesch's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #102686 by agnesch
Hello everyone,
I'm new to LimeSurvey and I've just installed version Version 2.05+ Build 131209.
I've begun to build my survey and I've added a Multiple Choice question.
As for the subquestions, the software is creating a code, which I would like to change into custom codes, so that I already have a coded sheet when I will export my survey.
Problem is, the software doesn't allow for me to change the automatic code into a custom code.
Is this a bug of LimeSurvey or am I doing something wrong?
I would like to have the subquestions coded as 1, 2, 3, and so on, and not SQ001, SQ002, SQ003... (see attachment).
Also, I would like to have a custom code for Other, e.g. 66.
I would very much welcome any tip!
Thank you so much for your help and hope to have posted in the right section!
Agnese
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 3 months ago #102687 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Changing subquestion code into custom code
You should be able to change this code to 1,2,3 without a problem. What happens when youdo so? Do you save the changes after changing?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: agnesch
  • agnesch
  • agnesch's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago #102714 by agnesch
Replied by agnesch on topic Changing subquestion code into custom code
Hello holch,
thank you for answering.
When I try to save the subquestion code using only a number (e.g. 0, 1, 2...) the software doesn't allow me to save and it says I need to name the code appropriately.
Before I was on the IRC chat and a user told me that the subquestion codes must always start with a letter. This kind of makes sense if you think of the subquestions of a Multiple Choice question as single variables, which are then coded Y (yes, if ticked) or N (no, if not ticked).
On the other hand, if you use an Array question, you can choose the Answer Options and code them as 1, 2, 3, 66 (or whatever different code) for Other option, and so on.
Question is, if I want to change the way LS codes the answers (e.g. if I want 0 for No and 1 for Yes instead of N and Y), what do I need to do?
Thank you so much again for the help!
More
10 years 2 months ago #103147 by david2013
Replied by david2013 on topic Changing subquestion code into custom code
Hi,

Version 2.00 doesn't force answer code to start with letter. But Version 2.05 seems does. I'm wondering what's the reason to force subquestions to start with letter. It's really inconvenient if we have long list. (Letter will run out very fast)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose