Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can each group assessment provide a total result at the end?

• Lkyser
  • Lkyser's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #102053 by Lkyser
Hi there,

Sorry to drop in and post immediately, but I've got a fairly tight turnaround on this particular project and I've still got a site to pull together around the surveys.

I want to create a survey with three groups, labelled 'Disciplined' 'Reckless' and 'Relaxed' (for example). Each group will need to have a range of answers to respond to a 'This thing happened...' a) never b) sometimes c) always'. What my client has asked in the original printed survey was the participant take each answer (which is given a score of 1 to 3), add each group up and then whichever group had the most points, that was their given result.

So a basic assessment survey, in triplicate. What I want to with Limesurvey is have each groups result added up to display a single result - any ideas how this could be done? I'm sure its possible (the wiki mentioned setting the scope of the assessment per group, but didn't mention how to calculate multiple assessments to get a single result).

Any help would be much appreciated.
- Lkyser
The topic has been locked.
  • fransmarcelissen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #102055 by fransmarcelissen
To me it is unclear what is your problem. You suggest to calculate group totals, but in limesurvey groups are irrelevant in calculations. On group 2 you can use the results of group 1 and 2, etc.
You could define four calculated fields (three for each group, + one as the total of the three other calculated field (for instance on a fourth group, or on the third group).
Frans
  • Lkyser
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #102056 by Lkyser
I don't know if I've explained it very well! I'm a bit confused about how to set the assessments up I guess.

I have three groups (Red, Blue, Green) and Red has 13 questions, Blue has 14 and Green has 4 and all have the same 'Never Sometimes Often Always' answer array. Currently the assessment points have Never = 1, Sometimes = 2, Often = 3, Always = 4. It has been requested the total points per group are divided by the amount of questions to get the result (You are... Red, Blue, Green).

How would I set this up in assessment mode? The min/max score thing has confused me - do I set that up with a maximum possible score in each group (Red would be 11 x 4 = 44, Blue would be 13 x 4 = 52, Green would be 4 x 4 = 16) and a minimum of 11, 13, and 4? How would I stop everyone being sorted into the last group? (Should that group be heavily weighted upwards?)

What I don't want is everyone answering, then everyone gets given the same result because my maths is rubbish!

(Edited because I don't understand the concept of minimum and maximum!)
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Lkyser. Reason: (Edited because I don't understand the concept of minimum and maximum!)
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 3 months ago #102063 by tpartner
I don't think you will be able to achieve it with assessments alone. I would use Expression Manager to calculate and present your "scores".

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Lkyser
More
10 years 3 months ago #102085 by Lkyser
Okay, after reading that wiki page I realise I really could never be a mathematician or a developer. So, how exactly would that work with these answers and an array question with no subquestions? (Just a four radio button array answer). I could change the question format to a radio list if needed, but I wouldn't honestly know where to begin with the tailoring as I don't understand how it would add scores up.

Would it be easier to heavily weight the answers of the last group with 4 questions, and have the minimum score needed to achieve that group extremely high (higher than the other two)?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose