Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers?

• nonlinear314
  • nonlinear314's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #101822 by nonlinear314
Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers? was created by nonlinear314
Is there a way to disable the selection of radio buttons when numbers are pressed? Make a radio list with comment question with X answer codes, when you type a number between 1 and X into the comment it will select that radio button. Assuming group-by-group, If you add a second list question then the numbers will continue from X+1 even if the codes themselves start at 1, A, X, etc.

e.g. if Q1 in the group has three answer codes (1,2,3 or A,B,C or X,Y,Z, etc.) and Q2 has two codes (1,2 or A,B, etc.) if you press 4 it will select the first code of Q2 because it simply the fourth button on the page.

Is there a way to turn this behavior off? Does it store whatever option is selected when the next button is clicked? I cannot use others because I have to capture the code, there are multiples. Even doing a workaround with list + comments doesn't work because if you type any number between 1 and X in the comment it will automatically select that list element.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by nonlinear314.
The topic has been locked.
  • nonlinear314
More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #101823 by nonlinear314
Replied by nonlinear314 on topic Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers?
I attached a group example with the behavior I am talking about. Pressing 1 through 7 will select the radio buttons even if you are typing in the comment or open end. This is very annoying for interviewers if the respondent gives dollar amounts, numbers, etc. that can trigger the radio buttons.

Like one question has multiple others that ask "How many?" to about half the items on a list. I used a list + comment workaround to hide the unneeded comments but if you type in any number that corresponds to an answer code then the answer itself changes, e.g. if the third code in a list + comment question gets asked a "how many?" other comment then if you type 1 in the box it will select the first code.

Our clients prefer that the interviewer ask "how many?" right away and record it instead of selecting them and then going through each one and saying, Now how many of X did you get? And now how many of Y? How many of Z? etc.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by nonlinear314.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 3 months ago #101827 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers?
Testing that group in IE10 and Firefox results in normal behaviour - entering numbers does not select radio buttons.

What template and browser are you using?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • nonlinear314
More
10 years 3 months ago #101829 by nonlinear314
Replied by nonlinear314 on topic Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers?
I see. I just tried a number of templates, when I use the "default" template then everything is okay but when I switch it to "basic" or "limespired" then I get the strange radio button behavior.

I guess I'll have to dig into the templates and see what is different about them. I have to use a certain template so I will need to modify it to match the behavior of the ones I want.
  • tpartner
More
10 years 3 months ago #101830 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Disable selecting radio buttons with numbers?
I can't make it happen in the basic or limespire templates either. Let us know if you figure it out.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose