Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Authenticating admin users with LDAP

• ColinFine
  • ColinFine's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #99863 by ColinFine
Authenticating admin users with LDAP was created by ColinFine
I readily installed limesurvey 2.00 on my localhost and started setting up a survey: no problems.

Then I looked at what I thought was a pretty basic and obvious facility, that of authenticating admin users by LDAP. I couldn't believe how fragmentary and unhelpful the information is that I've found.

The Wiki has a page (unchanged since 2011) which directs to a "Cheap and dirty" method, but that wasn't for 2.00, so I'm dubious whether it will even work.

Googling leads me to bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7679 , which says that 2.05 has plugins for authentication, but gives no hint of where to find these, or how to use it.

In about four hours on the IRC Live chat, I have not had a single reply from anybody; the only messages other than people joining or leaving were two other questions, which also went unanswered.

Now I've found a couple of threads on here discussion LDAP authentication, but nothing that says "This is what you do". I've dredged my memory of GIT and I thought I'd managed to get a copy of 2.05, but there's nothing in the Plugins directory but AuditLog, Demo, and index.php

Right now, I'm feeling lost and unsupported, and hoping somebody can just point me at the place where it is documented how to get 2.05 and how to install and use the LDAPAuth plugin.
The topic has been locked.
  • c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
10 years 6 months ago #99888 by c_schmitz
Replied by c_schmitz on topic Authenticating admin users with LDAP
Hello Colin,

which solution from the Wiki are you referring to?

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
  • ColinFine
  • ColinFine's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #99893 by ColinFine
Replied by ColinFine on topic Authenticating admin users with LDAP
I was referring to the text you have just removed from the page 'LDAP Settings', pointing to the page "Workarounds: Authenticating Against LDAP Cheap and Dirty". Apart from your tidying today, that has not been changed since May 2011.

However, I have realised that where I want to install the admin part is inside a domain which is already controlled by ldap_auth in Apache, so I probably don't need this after all.

I remain astonished that Limesurvey has not yet got a proper way of authenticating in LDAP.
  • c_schmitz
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #99896 by c_schmitz
Replied by c_schmitz on topic Authenticating admin users with LDAP
Yes, I found that link after I wrote the message. Yes, web server authentication using mod_ldap_auth is the easiest way to go and is supported by LimeSurvey. I guess I will remove that weird workaround page as it is outdated and leads people on the wrong track.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by c_schmitz.
More
10 years 6 months ago #99901 by custos
Replied by custos on topic Authenticating admin users with LDAP
Please don't take this the wrong way. I love LimeSurvey, but have yet to deploy it due to limitations w/ LDAP integration. I can't complain because the work put into the product is great, but until there is better documentation around LDAP capabilities, and exactly how to implement them -- I can't deploy to production :(.
More
10 years 6 months ago #99903 by custos
Replied by custos on topic Authenticating admin users with LDAP
With that being said, the new AuthLDAP plugin is looking good, but very simple. I may be able to expand on it if you would like, but I would highly recommend you add a note that folks must include the @ sign in the settings :).

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose