Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?

• nicegirl
  • nicegirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #98962 by nicegirl
can LS afford 5000 users doing survey? was created by nicegirl
before launch the survey site, we use Siege to test the LS. We cannot pass the 5000 users doing one survey at the same time.
anyone has the same experience?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 7 months ago #98963 by holch
Replied by holch on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?
5000 concurrent users is really a lot. I mean how many respondents will you invite to get 5000 concurrent respondents?

What happens when you reach 5000 users?

It is hard to say if what you are running into is a problem of Limesurvey or of hardware / server setup.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #98978 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?
Yep,

And if you have 5 000 user with same Web-Link then you have only one link betwwen your server and survey web site.

You can use Some Content Delivery Network (CDN) (with updating some part in config) for CSS and JS file

But like holch say : 5000 user at same time atonly one website need big server. Not LS only.

We lack some "real caching" , please you can contribute : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7988

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
10 years 5 months ago #100269 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?
In general, 5.000 users is not that much. But keep in mind that usually not all users access the survey at the same time. So better send invitation emails step by step and not all in one bun ch to lower such access peaks.

Of course, it also highly depends on your server and the related resources and of course the size of the survey. Running a survey in question by question mode should cause less problems compared to running a huge survey in all in one mode.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • limesun
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #100272 by limesun
Replied by limesun on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?
agree,out company use 3U server for survey, peak user number is around 10k, band width is 100M.despite of the hardware condition, I BELIEVE LS CAN AFFORD 5K USER SAME TIME.
More
10 years 4 months ago #101633 by pku9104038
Replied by pku9104038 on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?

limesun wrote: agree,out company use 3U server for survey, peak user number is around 10k, band width is 100M.despite of the hardware condition, I BELIEVE LS CAN AFFORD 5K USER SAME TIME.

hi,

could you please give me some advise about the deployment for high concurrent issue.

I have test it base on a 4Core Xeon 2.0GHz 4G men server. running nginx as web server and php5-fpm plus mysql.

while i try to test 200 concurrent, the cpu run at 100% and it take average 35 seconds to open a 60 questions survey page.

thanks!

george
More
10 years 3 months ago #101938 by quaint
Replied by quaint on topic can LS afford 5000 users doing survey?
We have an LS instance running on a virtual server allocated 2.4Ghz with 2 gig RAM and a moderate 10gig of hard disc space. Currently running (with no issues) two surveys live to approximately 5,000 respondents (3,000 & 2,000 respectively) plus assorted others.

I must admit, I was moderately worried prior to launch, but I'm really very pleased at the performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose