Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Simple import of questions in .csv format?

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #92878 by Luap
Hello,

I have generated several hundred questions in R (for a survey experiment) that will then be randomly assigned to survey participants. I have to do this in R because I have to combine different questions, pull samples of questions etc.

Subsequently I saved them in a simple csv. file (comma separated) which has a structure as depicted below (or see attachment). When I try to import that to limesurvey (import question group) I fail. I tried to find a simple example (or a sample csv. file) that could help me on the web but didn't.

I would be very grateful for help since I don't wanna turn to one of the commercial solutions and we have lime survey installed here at our university server!

Thank you in advance,
Paul
(University of Bern)

questionnr question
1 Do you think a?
2 Do you think b?
3 Do you think c?
4 Do you think d?
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Luap.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #92886 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Simple import of questions in .csv format?
The best solution is to create an example of your questions in Limesurvey, export it, understand the structure and then adapt it to the required format for Limesurvey.

For sure you will not be able to simply import your CSV file. How should Limesurvey know what you want to do with this content of the csv?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #92892 by Luap
Thank you. Actually, I tried to do that, namely exporting questiongroups as well as single questions. However, I can only export them in .lsq format. However, I don't understand these files...

What I would need is a simply way to import a simple list of questions (lots of questions) into lime survey coming in .csv or .txt format since it is that which I can get out of R. Maybe it is possible to obtain a simple example .csv file into which I can paste my questions and then import them?
  • holch
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #92893 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Simple import of questions in .csv format?
As far as I know, it is not possible to import a "simple" csv file into limesurvey.

Before there was a csv im- and export, but even then it was not as simple. Because somehow you have tell Limesurvey what it is importing and how to use it.

The only way I see at the moment for Limesurvey (and I would guess that its the same for any other survey tool out there free or comercial, if they even offer an import feature), that you will have to adapt to the format of the software somehow to tell the tool what you are pretending to do with your questions.

As I said, the only chance I see to do this is understand the .lss files (survey files are lss) and thus adapt your list accordingly.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose