Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

use previous question answers in future questions

• opirnia01
  • opirnia01's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 2 months ago #90545 by opirnia01
We are using version 1.92 build 120919

I'd like respondents to list multiple terms in the first question and then ask subsequent pair comparison questions based on the terms they specify.

for example, if they list:
cat
dog
fish

the pair comparison questions would be:
cat and dog are how many units apart?
cat and fish are how many units apart?
dog and fish are how many units apart?

The pair questions are always in the same order format no matter now many concepts are specified:
term1 and term2 are how many units apart?
term1 and termN are how many units apart? (continues until no new terms left)
term2 and termN are how many units apart? (again continues until no new terms left)
termN and termN are how many units apart? (continues pattern until no new terms left)

In the past we decided the terms and then made all the questions; I had a small fortran program that put all the terms into the right order, then cut/pasted them into limesurvey as subquestions. Apparently not many people can easily or consistently do that, however, so I'm trying to find another way (don't be misled, I am not a programmer although I know some javascript; I can also modify Limesurvey templates. I had help from the original developer to modify the fortran program so it did what I needed).

Actually I guess we need two surveys:
1 to create terms and ask pairs
2 to just ask pairs (after the surveys are created the student who first thought of the terms then gets others to fill out the pairs)

This might not make any sense; if so I apologize. It is also quite possible limesurvey cannot do this. It is ok to tell me limesurvey cannot do this. Thank you for listening.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #90559 by tpartner
You can do this with LimeSurvey but you will need to define all possible questions before activating the survey.

Conditions/relevance can be applied to the comparison questions depending on how many terms are listed.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by tpartner.
  • opirnia01
  • opirnia01's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 2 months ago #91152 by opirnia01
Thank you for your reply.

I think one of these ways may also work
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...revious-survey#90947
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/can-i-do-thi...access-user-id#91103

I don't know how to do either thing but think I can find someone now who might.

These forums and the documentation help a lot and I appreciate it. Thanks always.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose