Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Resume survey after completion by editing the token

• nasprok
  • nasprok's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #87228 by nasprok
I would like to ask you if it is possible to do the following:
I have a survey that is not anonymous and it is token based. I have the settings Enable token-based response persistence? ---> Yes and Allow editing answers after completion? --->No. The second setting is set because I don't want participants to edit their answers by themselves but only if I allow it. So:
  1. Participan completes the survey and submits it.
  2. Calls me to say that he wants to change one of his answers.
  3. I edit in his/her token the fields completed to N and uses left to 1.
  4. Participant press the link in the invitation email or fills in their token number in the survey URL.
  5. Participant's previous answers doesn't appear but he/she see an empty survey so it's not actual edit but resubmit.
  6. If the participant completes the survey again in the responses table I see 2 responses from the same person.

Is there a way for LS to populate the fields with the previous answers so the participant would not have to fill the whole survey from the beginning? Is there an alternative way to do it than the one I described above?
The topic has been locked.
  • nasprok
  • nasprok's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #87356 by nasprok
Any ideas?
More
11 years 4 months ago #87364 by Fred01
Hi, that's an interesting question and I'm wondering the same thing.

As you may have discovered, if you increment the token count and change completed to N, it will show the participant's earlier response, but only assuming you enable "Allow editing answers after completion?" under survey/general settings, which you don't want to do!

Maybe you could export the responses daily, then when a participant wants to re-submit, delete his earlier response and reset the token?

Alternately, you could just add a 2nd token for the participant and send it out? If you're using LS 2.0 and the central participants db, it won't allow this so you'd have to do it behind the scenes directly on the db.

I'd be interested to hear from @Mazi or other experienced people on how they do this.
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #97922 by cshaw
Maybe if there were a way to access the "lastpage" value in the survey's table (I think) you would be able to change it to 1 and let the subject go through the survey again.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by cshaw. Reason: Just making clearer
More
10 years 8 months ago #97923 by cshaw
So I just tried to change the last page and it does change what page comes up, but only after you enable editing of submitted surveys, otherwise an empty survey is created.
  • mdekker
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #97927 by mdekker
I think you also need to edit the response record to remove completion there.

Set the submitdate field to null

If you feel there should be a button to do this for you when browsing responses, you can always file a feature request in our bugtracker and try to describe in as much detail as possible how you would like to see this implemented.

---
Menno Dekker
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by mdekker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, cshaw
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #97980 by cshaw
I actually did try that. The only way I could get the field "lastpage" changed to 1 was to use vv export/import the response record changing the lastpage value before loading. While I was at it I also modified the record to remove completion.

I also went into the token for the record and changed it to reflect an incomplete survey.

However, when I loaded the survey is was still empty. :(

I wouldn't want to have to export/modify/import each time there was a record that needed to be accessed again anyway. So even if it were feasible, it wasn't practical.

The use case for me is that I am not the dba for our data, in fact I have very limited control. So I have my hands a bit tied. Our survey was implemented on paper previously and staff are data entering a backlog of data into lime.

I can't give the staff at remote sites (outside of our organization in a partner organization) access to the data entry form since they do not have a username and password from my organization and the dba is pretty strict about that ;) . But I CAN let them access the survey to with a token. However, they can't return to a survey to make corrections to their previously entered data.

Simultaneously I want to provide token access to people invited to take our survey.

There are ways to work around these issues, I could provide two versions of the survey, one for staff to enter paper completed surveys and one for token access for those invited to complete the survey and combine the data later. I could also just allow people to save and return to their surveys later. However, it would be really nice to have the data all in one place with out exposing the ability to return to the survey to everyone, just to staff on a case by case basis.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by cshaw. Reason: clarity
  • mdekker
More
10 years 8 months ago #97986 by mdekker
I just tried and was able to edit the response: At the very top of the response is a field completed yes/no. After I changed that to No I went to the token screen, changed to N and added 1 to uses left. I entered at the last page, but because of survey settings I could move backward and I saw all my previous answers.

If this works, the only thing extra you would need is to move lastpage to the start of the survey without doing expoirt/import right? (This could all be improved to make it easier ofcourse)

---
Menno Dekker
More
10 years 8 months ago #98005 by cshaw
Ah that makes sense. I did all those suggestions, but I wasn't getting the last page, I was getting the page that says: "Thank you for completing the survey" and a link to print answers.

That is probably because I do not have a "last page" or redirection link at all on the survey I was working on. So I will try revising the survey to add a last page with a text display. I think that will probably do the trick. :) Thank you for your help!
More
10 years 8 months ago #98006 by cshaw
Yep that worked! Thank you again!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose