CSV File does not contain the correct character sets

More
4 years 9 months ago #82621 by ROSt52
I have 2 surveys
survey 1
base language: english
However I offered to answer free text in Japanese (this works without problems)for easier expression of thoughts. Therefore I have English and Japanese in the responses

survey 2
base language: Japeanese
Single language survey in Japanese.

Observation is for both surveys the same.

I do "Export results to application"
and choose: "CSV File (all charsets)"

Opening this CSV file in Ms EXCEL 2003 and
opening this CSV file in LibeOffice Calc 3.5.4.2
gives "mojibake" (Japanese for unreadable characters)

Above is bad news.
Now good news
Doing the same but exporting to "Microsoft Excel (all charsets)"
works. All characters can be read.


Sample text:
in unreadable characters: 最åセŒãョペãƒシã‚クãォã‚「ã‚ッã‚サã‚ケ
in readable characters (same text): 最後のページにアクセス

Version 1.92+ Build 120509
Windows XP SP2
Firefox 13.0.1

If some works on this topic I volunteer to do proof reading.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #82631 by Mazi
Please test if the problem still exists at the latest release . If so please open a ticket at the Bugtracker and...
  1. Give as much information as possible
  2. Attach your survey. You can mark your ticket "private" so that only the developers will be able to take a look at it.
  3. Provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce the problem.
  4. If possible/helpful please provide screenshots

Afterwards please post the link to the Bugtracker so we can follow the progress.

Thanks!


Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Contact: marcel.minke(at)survey-consulting.com'"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #82633 by ROSt52
Thanks for info on new release. Once my LS is upgrade to the new built I'll make another test and report.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #82710 by Mazi
You're welcome :-)

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to give Limesurvey a future .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.


Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Contact: marcel.minke(at)survey-consulting.com'"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #83347 by lamprinaGL
Problem still exists as it is described above. Using Greek language.
Tested with latest version Version 1.92+ Build 120711
and with online Demo: Demo.limesurvey.org/admin/admin.php?sid=21727

I don't know in which version the bug was introduced but i'm sure it used to work well.

ROSt52, have you found any workarounds? It's urgent...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #83360 by ROSt52
lamprinaGL

As mentioned in my first posting exporting to MS EXCEL works in my case without any problem.

I can open, edit and save the downloaded xls-file with MS EXCEL or LibreOffice CALC without any problem.

Hope it works for you as well!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #83363 by lamprinaGL

ROSt52 wrote: lamprinaGL

As mentioned in my first posting exporting to MS EXCEL works in my case without any problem.

I can open, edit and save the downloaded xls-file with MS EXCEL or LibreOffice CALC without any problem.

Hope it works for you as well!


ROSt52 thanks for your reply.
I want to use the vv files in order to import some new answer set to my survey. So i export my vv file, edit it and insert new answers and then import it back to survey.
I have found a partial solution but the dev team should consider fixing it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #83375 by ROSt52
lamprinaGL,
Glad you found a partial solution. Maybe you could publish it here in case someone else gets the same problem before the fix is done.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #83377 by lamprinaGL

ROSt52 wrote: lamprinaGL,
Glad you found a partial solution. Maybe you could publish it here in case someone else gets the same problem before the fix is done.


The "solution" refers to my specific problem, so i am not sure if someone else could use it. I had no previous answers to my survey so i just wanted a "generic"-test vv file in order to insert new answers myself manually. I also used the Excel exported file so i could read the (dummy) responses because in vv file i couldn't even read the questions! I checked every question one by one and copied the new answers to vv file.
As i said my case was "easy" to edit as i had to previous "real" answers in vv file.

Note: Problem stills in case you import a vv file (i mean not only when you export it). So select carefully the charset when you import the vv file.

If you need anything else i will be glad to help :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #99033 by ROSt52
@lamprinaGL
While working with export and import of surveys using TSV files I found the information about the UTF-8 encoding and tried to open the CSV file (all character sets) in an spreadsheet using UTF-8. (Spreadsheet SW: LibreOffice Calc). In the pre-view window I still see some strange, non-Japanese characters but when I imported into the spreadsheet, all characters in the spreadsheet are displayed correct.

For me it was important to ignore the strange characters in the pre-view and just import the file. Maybe this could be a hint for you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.