Export Multiple Surveys

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #80960 by petert
I am working on a large survey, over 400 questions. It's impossible to do the entire thing in one sitting. My first approach was to break it in to separate surveys for each major section. Since the survey is anonymous, no need for tokens etc.

I now realize, however, that when the time comes to import results into SPSS, exporting and importing all 16 surveys separately will be difficult/tedious. I see two possible solutions:

1) Create 16 surveys, then export all surveys in one operation to a single large SPSS export

2) Create 1 huge survey and then "deep link" directly to different survey groups with a specially formatted URL offered to the user from a introduction page on the client's website. This would allow me to create one huge survey, but link users directly to individual sections (groups).

Are either or both possible? Is one approach preferrable to another?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LimeSurvey Partners
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #80963 by atavei
Replied by atavei on topic Export Multiple Surveys
Hello petert,

To the best of my knowledge, LimeSurvey does not have yet the tools to do option number 1.

Option number 2 needs clarification. It is not clear what you want. Do you mean that different groups of users will answer different sections of the big survey?

By the way, merging SPSS .sav files in the more recent versions of SPSS is so easy, that merging your 16 files will not take more than a few seconds, once you generate the 16 databases. And that will be done by LimeSurvey for you (just run the SPSS script, but be careful with variable names during merging). On the other hand, LimeSurvey can handle 400 + variables effortlessly (though it may depend on the database you are using), no problem with that, and you will get your SPSS unique file easily.

See this link for information on LimeSurvey limitations (by the way, pretty impressive!)

docs.limesurvey.org/General+FAQ#What_lim...does_LimeSurvey_have ...

Good Luck!

Samuel Figueroa Sifre
Professor
University of Puerto Rico at Cayey

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #80964 by petert
Replied by petert on topic Export Multiple Surveys
Clarification on #2. The idea would be that I could create URLs to different sections of the survey so that users could do section 1, then 3 then 5 then 2 as they pleased and eventually complete all 16 sections (or not). So does Lime support a url like index.php?sid=66549&gid=9 so I an drop the user straight into question group 9, as an example but still have all the questions part of one huge survey in the admin interface.

I know there are dependency/relevancy issues with this, but the 16 sections pretty much standalone in that regard.

Thanks

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #80965 by atavei
Replied by atavei on topic Export Multiple Surveys
Yes, it is doable, although requires some planning and additional work in each one of the sections including adding questions and conditions to control the process. You will need to use the new Expression Manager (or even the old conditions Editor) to accomplish this.

Ask in the forum to the experts on the Expression Manager for ways of doing this. They are very willing to provide examples on how to use the Expression Manager.

On the other hand, if what you want is to let people do the survey in different sittings, simply activate the option for saving the survey and return later. They will return to whatever section they were working. Test that option and see if it works for you. A good explanation in the Welcome Page will certainly help. You may want to explain how to return to the survey to complete the unfinished sections.

Again, good luck in your project!

Samuel Figueroa Sifre
Professor-Chair
Institute for Interdisciplinary Research
University of Puerto Rico at Cayey

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!