Check out the LimeSurvey source code on GitHub!

Track respondents answers across multiple surveys?

More
5 years 3 months ago #68945 by wschatten
Hello LS Community!

So I plan on running a survey now and then again in 4 months. I would like to be able to compare respondents answers between both surveys.

If possible I assume I would need to use Tokens for this?

If I import and setup my tokens for a survey will they be available and be the same if I use them on another survey?

Any help, comments, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
W. Schatten

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #68949 by holch
You can upload the same token table to both surveys. With the unique token you can match both surveys.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
5 years 3 months ago #68950 by wschatten
Based on this article regarding Tokens:
http://docs.limesurvey.org/Tokens+in+Version+1.85&highlight=tokens

It mentions:

If the survey is anonymous, then no link (technically: foreign key relationship) is available between the tokens table and the responses.

So would I be able to have use the same token table for both surveys and still have the survey be anonymous?
Or would I need to be able to link between Tokens and responses to compare respondents answers to 2 different surveys?

More
5 years 3 months ago #68951 by holch
No, if the survey is anonymous you have no way to connect both surveys.

Because the token would not be saved in the survey results, so there is no way to connect both surveys on a respondents base. What you might be able to do is to give the respondent a code. Problem is, that the next survey is 4 months later and the respondent will not remember the code.

You could pass on the survey id for example and then the respondent would have to fill out the respondent id in a question. Then you can match the questionnaires together, but you can't match it with tokens. This would guarantee the protection of anonymity, as you can't connect survey results with personal data.

I don't see any other way. The whole problem is that joining results of several surveys AND anonymity are just contrary in my point of view.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
5 years 3 months ago #68952 by wschatten
That is the impression I was under from the quote above. Ok thank you for your quick response Holch.

Cheers from Canada!

More
5 years 3 months ago #69027 by Mazi
At both surveys you can have a text question where the users should enter a certain code which can be compased of:
- second + third letter of first name
- last two letters of last name
- last two digits of the year of birth
- character 3+4 of the town where you were born

This should create a more or less unique code like "arke80ld"

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
The following user(s) said Thank You: wschatten

More
5 years 3 months ago #69030 by wschatten
That is a really good idea.
Thank you Mazi!

More
5 years 3 months ago #69035 by Mazi

wschatten wrote: That is a really good idea.
Thank you Mazi!

You're welcome.

If you find this solution useful, please add it at manual -> workarounds -> Survey behavior.

Thanks!

Dr. Marcel Minke

More
5 years 3 months ago #69038 by holch
That is actually not a bad idea. Some kind of digital footprint.

However, should the population of the sample be small, this might actually cause problems for anonymity, because you might be able to reconstruct the actual person from this information. Won't be easy, but with a little perl script and a list of participants with this data you might be able to figure this out in seconds.

And then, what about someone from "Ulm" (city in Germany). What does he/she write as the 4th letter of the birthplace?

More
5 years 3 months ago #69041 by floccs
I've implemented the attached question to compare respondents answers on different surveys.

You have to edit the javascript in it (set #answer11829X199X6875 with your SGQA).
You can also add other fields to increase the precision (remember to add the answer in the javascript check_fill() function).

It also implements a SHA-1 function to ensure anonymity of answers.
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #69081 by Mazi
Nice!

Please upload your question at our repository, because the forum is cleaned from time to time.

Link: www.limesurvey.org/en/additional-downloads

Dr. Marcel Minke

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #69095 by floccs
I've added a workaround section to the manual ( Track respondents answers across multiple surveys ).
I think it is a better place than the question repository to explain how it works and give the possibility to customize it.
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by floccs.

More
5 years 3 months ago #69099 by Mazi
Thanks!

Dr. Marcel Minke

Imprint                   Privacy policy         General Terms & Conditions         Revocation information and revocation form