Check out the LimeSurvey source code on GitHub!

Single-scale array with drop-downs, or some other solution

More
5 years 4 months ago #66701 by Mazi

Nebulous wrote: Tony and Hotch - You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Tony - It makes sense (as in"why didn't I think of that?) now that you say it. Taking the long when to get to a short goal, I was!

I appreciate you being willing to do the js. The template I'm using is business_grey.

Thanks again!

~N

You're welcome!

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #66724 by tpartner
1) Set up your survey to use JavaScript .

2) Add the following script to the source of one of the dropdown questions. The script adds some classes to the dropdown questions so you can manipulate them with CSS.
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">

$(document).ready(function(){
		// Add some classes for manipulation
		$('.list-dropdown').addClass('inlineQ');
		var count = 1;
		$('.inlineQ').each(function(){
			$(this).addClass('inlineQ'+count);
			count++
			if(count == 4) {
				count = 1;
			}
		});
	});
</script>

3) Add the following the the end of template.css:
.inlineQ {
	float: left;
	margin: 0 0 6px 0;
    width: 32.5%;
	border: 1px solid #EEEEEE;
}

.inlineQ1 {
	margin-left: 5px;
}

.inlineQ1,
.inlineQ2 {
	border-right: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ2,
.inlineQ3 {
	border-left: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ table {
	width: auto;
	margin: 0 2px;
	border: 0 none;
}

.inlineQ .questionhelp,
.inlineQ .questionCode {
	display: none;
}

.inlineQ p.question {
	margin: 2px 0;
}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 months ago #66757 by Nebulous
Tony:

Wow, that looks like it will work great! I can't try it now - I have a missing field input box issue that I just submitted in the "Installation & upgrade" forum. It's preventing me from being able to create the survey at the moment.

Because I need to get this thing done, I went over to Surv** ***key to see if they could accommodate my needs for this time.

They actually do provide the type of array that I was looking for. See the attached screenshot where I quickly created my array just as I originally described it and mocked it up in Excel.

I would never use them regularly - I love hosting my own, and I don't like giving them peoples' email addresses. But Holch had said he didn't think any survey system provided this, so I thought I'd point it out.

They call the question type "Matrix Of Drop-Downs Menus."

~N
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 months ago #66758 by holch
Thanks for letting us know. To be honest, I haven't looked around a lot lately. Good to know that they have something like that, should be a good motivation to get at least equal there...

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
5 years 4 months ago #66760 by Nebulous
If I can get this thing working by EOD tomorrow, though, I'm going to roll my own. I'd rather do it myself, and besides I don't want to waste your and Tony's support efforts!

I'll need to opt for SM, though, if it gets too involved. I really do appreciate all you've done.

If I were in a place of contributing some $$ toward the project, I would do so. At the moment, things are extremely tight. I expect that to change in the very near future and I won't forget.

More
5 years 4 months ago #66770 by Mazi
All kind of help is welcome, be it a donation, a bug report, an updated translation or extending the manual. There is so much work to do...

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Imprint                   Privacy policy         General Terms & Conditions         Revocation information and revocation form