Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Insert picture to the left of the question

• asonimie
  • asonimie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 9 months ago #61795 by asonimie
Is there a way to insert a picture to the left of the question instead of having to put a picture in the question text and the answers below it?

Sort of like having it in a table.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have a picture to the right or left and have 3 questions on a page, but even being able to have one question on the page with the image to the right or left would be helpful.
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
12 years 9 months ago #61813 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Insert picture to the left of the question
You can place the image in a text-display (boilerplate) question and then use CSS to place the follwing questions alongside.

Here are some quick styles for the default template to give the result below. Replace the following:
11 - boilerplate question ID
22 - multiple options question ID
33 - multiple text question ID
44 - the question ID of the next question in the group (if any)
Code:
table.innerframe {
  width: 800px;
}

#question11,
#question22,
#question33 {
  float: left;
}

#question11 {
  width: 40%;
  margin-left: 5%;
}

#question22,
#question33 {
  width: 50%;
  background-color: #EEF6FF;
  padding-right: 10px;
}

#question22 .questiontext,
#question33 .questiontext {
   padding: 1em;
}

#question33 {
  margin-top: -12px;
  padding-top: 14px; 
}

#question11 table,
#question22 table,
#question33 table {
  width: 100%;
}

#question11 td.answer {
  padding: 0;
}

#question44 {
  clear: both;
}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
11 years 10 months ago #79998 by gfgardner
Replied by gfgardner on topic Insert picture to the left of the question
This looks like just what I need. But I am struggling a bit. Can you please clarify ..

Do I actually have to edit the template.css file to include the text you provided? exactly where do i put this (and actually if you dont mind can you tell me how to do this because my version of the template editor will not allow me to insert a line except at the end). Do I then have to keep this template just for this one survey?

then do I have to put in the template.css file the long code for the question 17328X272X190 etc for each of the questions I am interested in?

Like I said, it is just what I need and you have done a great job in providing the answer but I just need a little more and have done an FAQ search. Thanks
  • tpartner
More
11 years 10 months ago #79999 by tpartner

...my version of the template editor will not allow me to insert a line except at the end...

You will need to copy one of the shipped templates before you can edit it.

Do I actually have to edit the template.css file to include the text you provided?

The code I supplied would go at the end of template.css.

Do I then have to keep this template just for this one survey?

You can use the template for other surveys. The added code will not affect them because it uses question-specific identifiers for the style rules (questions are identified with their IDs).

then do I have to put in the template.css file the long code for the question 17328X272X190 etc...

You do not use the full SGQA for the styles. In the case of your example, the identifier would be #question190.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gfgardner
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #80023 by gfgardner

Many thanks for trying. I may have to give up, however, as I did all of that and still got the screenshot as attached. I also attach the css file which I think I copied accurately.

should I perhaps try a simpler way?

I did at least work out how to use the template editor - the problem was not that I had tried to edit an original it was that the fancy highlighting option was switched on and on my machine (ie9) made all sorts of flashing and moving around things happen until I switched it off.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by gfgardner. Reason: still trying to get the css file on
  • tpartner
More
11 years 10 months ago #80024 by tpartner
Can you activate a sample survey for us to see?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

More
11 years 10 months ago #80034 by gfgardner
actually (and miraculously) since doing the screenshot which you can see above produced a vertical set, I went and had a cup of coffee, and when I came back it was fine!

many thanks again.

Also for the benefit of complete newbies (and to get it in the forum search results because strangely it does not appear easily), the term boilerplate is used by everyone on this forum - How do I create a boilerplate survey, the answer is that it is actually called a text display question. Hope that helps
  • tpartner
More
11 years 10 months ago #80038 by tpartner

the term boilerplate is used by everyone on this forum

Yeah, sorry, that's a legacy from earlier versions.

Yes, boilerplate = text display

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
11 years 10 months ago #80081 by Mazi

gfgardner wrote: actually (and miraculously) since doing the screenshot which you can see above produced a vertical set, I went and had a cup of coffee, and when I came back it was fine!

When editing the template.css file, you always have to clear the browser cache when calling the page again so that the new code is loaded and no cached, outdated file.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
8 years 4 months ago #128066 by biba
Hi there,

I would really need your help for a similiar problem that have already been described above.

I need a template that display a picture on the left side and on the right side a "matrix" question-type with (with 7 items that have to be rated on a 7-point likert scale). Furthermore i would need a second questions-type (single-choice, list-box) directly under the matrix question.
My solution right now looks like this (see attached pdf). And it looks really terrible!!

It is important that I can change the pictures in the left box because there are a lot of pictures that i need to get rated by the participants.

You need to know that I have no clue about programing or javascript, also I am not very experienced in limesurvey. But at least I know how to copy and change a template. So maybe you can offer me a java-code that I just need to insert.
Is that anyhow possible?

Thank you very very much in advance!!
B.
More
8 years 4 months ago #128067 by biba
Example
Attachments:
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #128071 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Insert picture to the left of the question
I am just wondering why the image can not be above the matrix question? Inserting an image into the question text is simple and from your example I can't see any advantage of the image being positioned to the left of matrix question.

Sure, it is doable, but as you state that you have "no clue about programing or javascript, also I am not very experienced in limesurvey." I would suggest making things as easy/simple as possible.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose