Autoscan paper based survey?

More
5 years 11 months ago #59604 by Helenmd
Hi,

Here at Swansea University we are looking to use LimeSurvey to run course/module evaluations.

However, we need to offer them the opportunity to submit a paper version, and I was wondering whether there was any way that these completed papers could be scanned in some way - using some sort of optical recognition or bubble sheet?

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #59637 by pwmowers
quexml This link is for a group of programs which were developed by the Australian Consortium for Political and Social Reseach. The suite contains a template for printing pdf surveys from LimeSurvey and then allows scanning and recognition of the completed survey.

I personally have not used it, but it appears to be the best open-source solution out there that I can find.

More
5 years 9 months ago #61903 by holch
As far as I know, you create the survey with Limesurvey and than export it to quexml, so that you can create the PDF in quexml. Limesurvey is basically only the tool to "design" the questionnaire.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
5 years 9 months ago #61904 by blocka
I wonder what they meant by:

"Limesurvey 1.9.1 includes the latest version of the queXMLPDF class which allows you to export your Limesurvey surveys directly to a PDF document?"

The bold text suggests you can actually create the PDF directly from LimeSurvey...

More
5 years 9 months ago #61905 by blocka
And it is referred to in the release notes:

+New feature: Direct export to queXML PDF file (azammitdcarf)

More
5 years 9 months ago #61911 by mdekker
QueXml export gives a zip file with the pdf and banding file to use with quexf (forms scanner). So indeed the pdf is generated from within limesurvey. The zip also contains a readme.txt with some hints.

---
Menno Dekker

More
5 years 9 months ago #61933 by holch

blocka wrote: I wonder what they meant by:

"Limesurvey 1.9.1 includes the latest version of the queXMLPDF class which allows you to export your Limesurvey surveys directly to a PDF document?"

The bold text suggests you can actually create the PDF directly from LimeSurvey...

Hmm, seems like a new feature then. I guess I have to test 1.91 a little more and see what is new.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
5 years 9 months ago #61935 by mdekker
You get a pdf inside the zip file... when you print the pdf, it can be filled out and scanned and the quexf software knows in what areas of the paper to look for checkmarks or text. I gave it a quick test and was impressed how easy it is.

---
Menno Dekker

More
5 years 9 months ago #61936 by blocka
That's exciting!
I just tried it, and alas, the ZIP reports it is downloading, and seems to just hang... I wonder if that is a folder permission issue?

More
5 years 9 months ago #61939 by holch
Works easy here. Maybe it is a memory problem?

More
5 years 9 months ago #61941 by blocka
I have 128M allocated to PHP for LimeSurvey -- should that be sufficient?

More
5 years 9 months ago #61943 by holch
I guess that should be sufficient. What size does the survey have? I tested it with a fairly small survey with only a few questions, but it worked like a charm and it looked good. Have to see how to style those questions though. Because my slider questions don't have any scale attached, etc. But I guess Slider layout isn't the best for a paper survey anyway... ;-)

More
5 years 9 months ago #61949 by mdekker
Slider is a vas (visual analog scale) question in paper surveys. The quexml can handle that, but not yet from limesurvey. It is just a matter of editing the xml file so in time that will be possible with the export from within limesurvey. There are some other issues with labels, but I think those will be addressed soon as the pdf generator is a whole new thing for quexml.

---
Menno Dekker

More
5 years 9 months ago #62107 by Helenmd
Thank you again for this.