Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Panel Providers and Limesurvey - your experience?

• Mazi
  • Mazi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
13 years 6 months ago #47802 by Mazi
Hi Limesurveyors,

I'd like to know which panel providers you can recommend to use with Limesurvey.

Mostly they pass a token to a Limesurvey survey which and after the user ahs submitted the survey some data is passed back to the panel provider.
Problem is that some panel provider have very strict guidelines and are not able to adapt the URL so data can be easily stored in a Limesurvey survey.

What experiences did you make?

Which panel providers can you recommend?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 5 months ago #48908 by jelo
You can say: The panel provider isn't flexible enough, but limesurvey is lacking a sophisticated passthrough/prefill management.

You often need to use a hidden question (now possible without javascript workaround) to store the panelid and prefill the hidden question via a SGQA identifier (e.g. &1X6X121ab1=Y ). The SGOA indentifier can irritate panel providers because normally they get common short words as variable declaration. The SGQA can be easily overlooked or misunderstood as sessionid.

To implement passthrough/prefill fields a similar approach to "User-defined attribute fields" in the token management would be useful.

The passback to the panel can be tricky because you can only define one offical end to the survey.
The workaround for different exits for different return codes is to use quota. This works as long as the last question allows quotas.

A special questions type for exit/jump url would allow to set different exits with different codes without using quota.

To easily pinpoint problems with waves of test people from panel providers the recording of os,browser,javascript would be helpful.
When using a workaround with a random number which was assigned to a hidden question some surveys weren't correctly filled. I found out that a few browser version were showing this hidden field and people changed the number. This was only possilbe because I used a chained survey which used a different survey tool which recorded the browseragentstring and the javascript version.

I won't recommend a panel provider since Limesurvey still can be used with any provider. They might prefer the two big ones ;-) But to choose a provider because he is "limesurveyfriendly" will hurt your studies. The quality of the panel should be the first criteria.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Mazi
More
13 years 5 months ago #48933 by Mazi
jelo wrote:

They might prefer the two big ones ;-) But to choose a provider because he is "limesurveyfriendly" will hurt your studies. The quality of the panel should be the first criteria.

This is not my field of work so I'm really interestd about the two big names ;-)

Dr. Marcel Minke
  • JoyLaneResearch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #53492 by JoyLaneResearch
Replied by JoyLaneResearch on topic Panel Providers and Limesurvey - your experience?
I've worked successfully with the eRewards panel (company = ResearchNow).

We've used quotas and passed parameters through URLs.

Can provide examples of parameters if desired.
  • Mazi
More
13 years 3 months ago #53503 by Mazi
Maybe you can describe the process of using panel providers in more details so other users know about your successful approach.

Dr. Marcel Minke
  • JoyLaneResearch
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #53516 by JoyLaneResearch
Replied by JoyLaneResearch on topic Panel Providers and Limesurvey - your experience?
To work with the eRewards panel, they need to include my survey "sid" # and "token" #s in the survey link they provide their panelists and they need me to return a result ties to their "ftouch" code. It works like this:

The links they provide to their panelists have the general form:
Code:
http://mysurveysite.com/index.php?sid=AAAAA&token=BBBBB&ftouch=CCCCC

When someone completes my survey, the survey is programmed to automatically load this web page:
Code:
http://www.e-rewards.com/complete.do?{PASSTHRULABEL}={PASSTHRUVALUE}&id={TOKEN}

When someone fails to pass a quota screen, I auto-load this web site instead:
Code:
http://www.e-rewards.com/terminate.do?{PASSTHRULABEL}={PASSTHRUVALUE}&id={TOKEN}

The "passthrulabel" parameter pickes up "ftouch" from their invitation link, and the "passthruvalue" parameter grabs the actual code ("CCCCC" in this case) to pass back to their servers. Passing the "ftouch" code to their servers this way allows them to reward participants without manual intervention.

Make sense?
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by JoyLaneResearch. Reason: I may have listed the parameters in the first link in the wrong order. If you try this, consider listing the parameter that you want to pass in the link first.
More
13 years 3 months ago #53526 by paulfiner
I have just completed a survey with respondents coming from a panel company called Toluna.

My experience was similar to JoyLaneResearch's in that the link I supplied to them consisted of my SID and reference to a hidden field at the start of my survey which was used to populate the ID number of the respondent coming from their panel.

I was given two returning links to use for people who completed the survey and those that failed any quotas.

Everything worked fairly well considering this was the first time I'd done anything like this.

I would say that the quota options in LimeSurvey are fairly basic and could do with some extra development.
For example, I had the need to screen people out if they didn't select an option from a multiple choice type question. The only way I could do this was to present an extra Y/N question straight after and only show it if the respondent didn't select my required answer. The quota could then be set if they said 'No'.

Does the development roadmap for version 2 include any improvements in this area?

Cheers

Paul
  • Mazi
More
13 years 3 months ago #53528 by Mazi
paulfiner wrote:

I would say that the quota options in LimeSurvey are fairly basic and could do with some extra development.
For example, I had the need to screen people out if they didn't select an option from a multiple choice type question. The only way I could do this was to present an extra Y/N question straight after and only show it if the respondent didn't select my required answer. The quota could then be set if they said 'No'.

Does the development roadmap for version 2 include any improvements in this area?

You can add this as a feature request at our feature tracker . Please describe your idea as detailed as possible and try to outline a suitable solution/implementation aswell.

Limesurvey 2 won't have a quota feature at the beginning. It will only have some very basic features and question types.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #62158 by wnagase
Hello Mazi!

I am running a project with more than 10k respondents with Noviodata, they gave me the best quota for Europe and America.

Cheers,
Wilton
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by c_schmitz.
More
12 years 3 months ago #69869 by hint-of-citrus
Replied by hint-of-citrus on topic Panel Providers and Limesurvey - your experience?
I have used e-Rewards / Research now too, several times, and found them to be very helpful.
  • TwentyTwo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #75369 by TwentyTwo
I am using succesfully GMI (gmi-mr.com), GTM - Global Test Market.

They will redirect their respondents to your Limesurvey survey as following:

1) You provide them your surveylink and sid where you save their panel ID:

www.yourdomain.com/limesurvey/index.php ?sid=48529&48529X3X140=[access_code]&newtest=Y&lang=en

Where [access_code] is their panel ID.
I save that ID in a hidden question sid=48529&48529X3X140

2) They will provide you also the redirect links to their system

For completes:
globaltestmarket.com/20/survey/finished.phtml?ac={INSERTANS :48529X3X140}&sn=XXX&lang=E

ac is their access_code again, you have saved their panel ID already in 48529X3X140 so you will send that value back in their end link. sn=XXX is their studynumber for your project, they will deliver you that ID.

For screeners:
globaltestmarket.com/20/survey/finished....&sn=XXX&lang=E&sco=s

For quotafull:
globaltestmarket.com/20/survey/finished....&sn=XXX&lang=E&sco=o

Because LS doens't have screener exits, I mean if a particular answer is exit, you need to create a quota with quota limit 0.
And you add in there the autoload URL with the link for screeners.

For any other quota you built add the autoload URL with the link for quotafull.

For completes, you first put on the setting "Automatically load URL when survey complete" at the General settings.

And in the "edit survey text elements" at "end url" you enter the link for completes.
Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by TwentyTwo.
More
10 years 7 months ago #99122 by amoswagon
Not sure I understand how you register new TOKENS coming in from a URL if the panel vendors sends them?
Do you preload a list of tokens in advance?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose