Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Data analysis

• ksemmler
  • ksemmler's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #196007 by ksemmler
Data analysis was created by ksemmler
Hello,
I have created a survey consisting of 10 questions, which includes the following types of questions:
1. Mask ranking (rank the name of 5 products)
2. Multiple choice free texts (name 4 products you know)

When I generate the statistics, the above two types of questions are missing. I only get results for 8 out of 10 questions. How can I analyse the results of these types of questions in Lime Survey? I know free text is difficult because it can be anything, but I am just asking for the name of products. For 2 (multiple choice) I did not think the counts will be so dificcult to generate, what can be wrong? Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #196012 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Data analysis
First the basics:
Which version of LineSurvey?
Which settings in "statistics"? I suppose you use expert mode.
Multiple choice free texts??? I suppose you mean "multiple short text".

This is what I get with "Show text responses inline: OFF"

and after clicking "Browse"

If you want LimeSurvey to do a frequency table of the mentions: NO.

And here what I get of a ranking question.

You see: For each rank there are the counts and percentages of the ranked objects.
This is not displayed at all in your version?

LimeSurvey is mainly a collecting tool; the statistics are thought for a rough overview during the survey.
Your analysis you have to do in a statistics tool like SPSS, PSPP, R, EXCEL, OpenOffice, or whatever.

By the way:
Are these "missing" data in the answer table?

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • ksemmler
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #196020 by ksemmler
Replied by ksemmler on topic Data analysis
Hello Joffm, Thank you very much for your reply.

I am using LimeSurvey Professional Free version as I am first testing the software.
Yes, I am on expert mode, but even in simple mode I only get the graphs for 8 out of 10 questions.
I do not see responses for question1 which is a multiple short "free" text where people are asked to enter the name of 4 products they know. This is called free text because they have to enter the answer themselves. How does free text can be analyzed in LimeSurvey? For example MonkeSurvey offers this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=869Ip3j_SNc

Question 2 is a mask question ranking. It asks people to rank 5 types of products that are listed, so the answers are known.

You are correct concerning question 2. I get those tables with the ranking question you attached, but these are per respondent, what about if I have 200 responses? I though data for this type of question can be summarized and disclosed on a bar chart...
  • Joffm
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #196026 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Data analysis
Again:
First the basics:
Which version of LineSurvey?
Which settings in "statistics"?

What you show of SurveyMonkey is there in LimeSurvey (LimeStore / Wordcloud).
But it is a plugin. So you might not be able to use it in your LimeSurvey GmbH hosted version.
But as said before: LS doesn't understand itself as an analysing tool.

I though data for this type of question can be summarized and disclosed on a bar chart...

Of course it is.
They are; depends on your setting ("Include", "Response ID greater than, less than", "Show graphs")
Here in Version 4.1.11.

Joffm

Which version of LS are you using? As we support the Community edition, we don't know much about the actual Pro Edition's version.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • ksemmler
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #196057 by ksemmler
Replied by ksemmler on topic Data analysis
I am using the latest Version (Version 3.22.9).
You are right. It seems Lime Survey is a very useful tool for questionnaire design, survey administration and data collection but not really for data analysis. I would definitely use another software for that. For a quick overview that is perhaps ok.
Just one more question, is there any other kind of calculation beyond the frequency count that Lime Survey offers? For example to conduct descriptive statistics (mean, median, max, min), correlations...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose