Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Open popup before next page when radio question is answered in a certain way

• NielsFro
  • NielsFro's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #190996 by NielsFro
Hi all,

I'm currently building a survey in which I want to ask for some agreement of the participants.

I have created a page with a radio question and two answer options: "Yes, I agree" and "No, I do not agree".

In case the participant chooses "Yes, I agree" and clicks next, I want to open a popup to ask if he/she is really sure (this is not my idea but a requirement of our data protection commissioner...) - if "no" is clicked, the next page is openend.

In the popup we need some more text and the options "Cancel" (brings me back to the page with the radio question) and "Proceed" (finally brings me to the next page).

I assume this is possible using JavaScript and I have already found this thread www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...-you-can-skip#123351 which looks promising to me especially because the "Window confirm method" is mentioned ( www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_confirm.asp ). However, I have no JavaScript skills and would greatly appreciate your help!

Limesurvey version 3.2. (not completely sure which exact one - the only recommended update is 3.20.0 (191112))
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 5 months ago #191003 by jelo

NielsFro wrote: In case the participant chooses "Yes, I agree" and clicks next, I want to open a popup to ask if he/she is really sure (this is not my idea but a requirement of our data protection commissioner...) - if "no" is clicked, the next page is openend.

LimeSurvey has implemented an agreement function for dataprotection GDPR compliance.
You should use that before implementing workarounds which than might fail in a certain percentage of browsers.

manual.limesurvey.org/Data_policy_settings

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: NielsFro
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 5 months ago #191009 by holch

Limesurvey version 3.2. (not completely sure which exact one - the only recommended update is 3.20.0 (191112))

You can always find the exact version of Limesurvey at the bottom right of your administration screen.

I agree with Jelo, I would not try to implement something like a popup, especially if you don't have experience in doing it. Have a look at the agreement Jelo mentions, maybe it is already what you need.

If the dataprotection officer requires a second step, you could always implement a second question that simulates the "Are you really sure" on the next page. I think it is overkill, but what can you do, if it is a requirement...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NielsFro
  • NielsFro
More
4 years 5 months ago #191015 by NielsFro
Thanks for your valuable answers! The gdpr idea looks promising, but won't do what I need, I'm afraid, because of the mandatory checkbox.

If the participant in my survey chooses yes, that's as fine as choosing no. The survey can be completed anyways. It's an additional agreement for using the results in more cases.

The idea with the second page seems the easiest to implement, thanks for that! But if you have an idea for a fancier solution (i.e. Popup ;)) that would make me very happy!
  • holch
More
4 years 5 months ago #191016 by holch
In a survey, never go for fancy, but rather with easy to implement and working fine, ideally out of the box implemented in the survey tool already. Only go for external solutions if no other option available. Stay away from fancy. Chances are high that it will cause more problems than doing something good.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• NielsFro
More
4 years 5 months ago #191095 by NielsFro
It doesn't make me happy, but you are probably right, holch! ;-)

I had one more idea that I want to try out and share here: Instead of a popup, I will create two questions in a question group and add a relevance equation to the second question. So it's only displayed if the first agreement question was answered with "Yes".

Will it possible to make both questions mandatory? I'm a bit worried about the second question that is not always displayed - will the participant get a warning to answer a question that he does not see when clicking Next?

Best
Niels
  • holch
More
4 years 5 months ago #191101 by holch

It doesn't make me happy,

We are not here to make you happy... ;-)

No problem to create both questions and make them mandatory. If the question is NOT displayed, it is also not mandatory. LS knows that if a question is not supposed to be shown due to a relevance equation, that it can't be forced to be filled. Just try it and see what happens.

Basically your solution is my solution just that I would have put it on the next page and you seem to want to show it on the same page. Not much difference.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose