Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is this a bug with slider inputs?

• jma6610
  • jma6610's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #190594 by jma6610
Is this a bug with slider inputs? was created by jma6610
I have a multiple-numeric input question with a single slider input. The input is set to integer only, with slider min value 0 and the slider maximum set to a numeric value from a prior question. I also have the slider initial value set to 0.

When a user goes to the question, all looks okay and the slider starts at 0. If the slider is moved anywhere, all is recorded okay even if that means moving the slider back to 0.

However, if the slider is not moved at all, no value is recorded. I'm seeing this as no value if I try to display this value within a subsequent question or whether I look at the actual responses. I've even tried to set the default answer to 0 and that doesn't work either. This is with Lime 2.59.1+170116 . It also doesn't seem to matter whether the intial values are set to something other than 0.

Can someone assist?

Jeff
The topic has been locked.
  • jma6610
  • jma6610's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #190595 by jma6610
Replied by jma6610 on topic Is this a bug with slider inputs?
After some long testing, I'm finding that if the slider's min value is set for something like 0 and the default answer is set to something other than 0, then I get a value recorded even if the slider isn't moved. The problem seems to be that a non-different value from the slider's initial value gets recorded as no value at all.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 5 months ago #190597 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Is this a bug with slider inputs?
Hi, Jeff,
this is the expected behaviour.
If a slider is not moved, the question is not answered. So no value is stored.
You will get an error message if you set it to "mandatory".
But if you set the "initial value", what is like a "default value" there is an answer.
And a "default answer" overrides the "initial value". So you get this value in the database if the question is not answered.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose