Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Exclude an Response From Being Saved?

• techdude300
  • techdude300's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #182340 by techdude300
Exclude an Response From Being Saved? was created by techdude300
Is it possible to exclude an answer from being saved in the results set? My use case is this:

I want to ask the user for their first name so that I can use it as a variable in the survey. However, I'm worried this might worry people and might make them not want to continue, so I'd like to tell them the result won't be saved. Is it possible to not save an answer in the final results, and just have it around to be used as a variable?
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #182341 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Exclude an Response From Being Saved?
Technically, I think, yes. On the last page of the survey, you could use Expression Manager in an equation question to set the value of the "name" question to null.

- manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...t_Operator_.28.3D.29

Having said that, if I was taking the survey, was asked my name and then that name appeared later, there would be no way that I would consider that survey to be anonymous.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, cdorin, techdude300
  • techdude300
  • techdude300's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #182342 by techdude300
Replied by techdude300 on topic Exclude an Response From Being Saved?
Thanks for the answer. I'm planning on having text that explains to the user why it's asking for their name. Specifically, this will be about creating more realistic social scenarios, and having the user rate how they feel about each one. I just need to make sure that if I make a promise not to save something, that I don't. Thanks!
  • holch
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #182371 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Exclude an Response From Being Saved?
Why not asking them for a Nickname that they can invent totally free and that they should consider it is them throughout the survey?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #182377 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Exclude an Response From Being Saved?

tpartner wrote: Technically, I think, yes. On the last page of the survey, you could use Expression Manager in an equation question to set the value of the "name" question to null.

Good idea, technically the name is saved and then erased. Which means, that respondents not getting to the last page have their name saved in the responses. So I cannot recommend to claim "not saved".

LimeSurvey is missing a global variable and list feature.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose