Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Admin notifications every X number of responses

• matthisd
  • matthisd's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #173942 by matthisd
I have been trying to find a way to make the admin notifications be sent at regular response intervals, instead of for each response. I might be daft, but I haven't found anything specific to this.

The closest I found would be to use conditions with the Expression Manager to determine what case to send a notification and enter this in "Send basic admin email notification" in the settings, as described in the forum post Conditional email notificationthis forum post .

Is there a solution to this, or do I have to make anything like this happen on my end once the email arrives?
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 6 months ago #173952 by jelo

matthisd wrote: I have been trying to find a way to make the admin notifications be sent at regular response intervals, instead of for each response.

I'm not sure what you want.
A notification every nth response would contain just the nth response or an aggregation of all responses between the last notification?

LimeSurvey isn't currently offering such a functionality out of the box.
What version of LimeSurvey is used? Perhaps a third party plugin is available.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthisd
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago #173953 by Joffm

I might be daft, but I haven't found anything specific to this.

No, you are not.

There is nothing out of the box.

Unfortunately there is no access to the quota.
If there was, you just could set a quota on "total" and with "quota_done mod 25 == 0" have an equation to send the mail or not.

But there is not.

One option is an ajax call:
In a question of type short text, enter this script:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
$(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete',function(){
      $.post('https://www.myServer.de/myDirectory/getCompletes.php',function(data) {

$('#question{QID} input[type="text"]').val(data)

});
  $('#question{QID}').hide();
});
</script>

And in "getCompletes.php" you query the database for the amount of completes so far.
Of course only possible, if you have access to the database and a little bit experience in php and MySQL.

Joffm

But, what for?
To get only 4 emails, to know: "Oh, now there are 100 completes".
Better to get no email at all and have a look into the answer summary.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthisd
  • matthisd
More
5 years 6 months ago #173956 by matthisd
Thanks for the replies!

So I would want to set (for example) that I receive a basic admin notification email for every 10th person that responds to the survey.

As I will go to the survey webpage to download the responses manually, there is no reason to include any specific response information in the notification email.

The main reason to receive the email, is to have a reminder of the fact that responses are still being completed on this survey and need to be processed. Unfortunately I do not have access to the server install itself, and any extension etc. would have to be discussed with the provider.

If this not an option, I prefer to stop any messages coming in. However, I currently have nothing entered in the "Send basic admin email notification" and am receiving emails for each response anyway. Where can I stop this?
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #173994 by holch
There is no easy way to receive a notification only for every 10th response, as Joffm and Jelo mentioned already. So your options are "no notification at all" or "notification for each response".

However, I currently have nothing entered in the "Send basic admin email notification" and am receiving emails for each response anyway. Where can I stop this?

I only know of two reasons why you would receive notifications:

1. Send basic admin notification email to:
2. Send detailed admin notification email to:

As you state that you have nothing in "basic admin notification" you must have something in "detailed admin notification".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• matthisd
More
5 years 6 months ago #174027 by matthisd
I have nothing entered in either of these fields. I attached a screenshot so we are sure we are talking about the same thing.

I do have email addresses entered under "General Settings" for both "Admin email" and "Bounce email". But I assume these are just the emails to be use if there is something set in the notification fields... right?
More
5 years 6 months ago #174030 by jelo

matthisd wrote: I do have email addresses entered under "General Settings" for both "Admin email" and "Bounce email". But I assume these are just the emails to be use if there is something set in the notification fields... right?

Correct.

Can you create a new test survey and check if you get emails on that survey too?

Can you post the content / subject of the email, you receive? Redact content before posting.

• matthisd
More
5 years 6 months ago #174045 by matthisd
Ok, I tried that and received no notifications from that survey. Then I created a copy of my current survey and tested that and have not received a notification until now! Its strange because the survey that was sending notifications was already a copy of another...

But in any case that seems to have solved the issue. I will try this in the future. The only explanation I have is that I might have entered an email address in the notification setting at some point and then removed it, but that the setting remained active anyway. Not sure if you would like me to test that possibility in case it is a bug?
More
5 years 6 months ago #174048 by jelo

matthisd wrote: The only explanation I have is that I might have entered an email address in the notification setting at some point and then removed it, but that the setting remained active anyway. Not sure if you would like me to test that possibility in case it is a bug?

What version of LimeSurvey is used? Look at the bottom. You can click on the version number and will get more infos about the installation in a window.

If you still have the survey with the "empty-looking" emailfields running, you might just enter your email address in the empty fields. Save the settings. Then logout. Login and remove the email from these notifications fields. Save again and then wait if the issue is fixed.

• holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174060 by holch
Maybe the messages you are getting are from the original survey (which the survey was a copy of?).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• matthisd
More
5 years 6 months ago #174122 by matthisd
The version at the bottom says: Version 3.14.8+180829
Unfortunately it does not seem to be a link to further information.

But, amazingly, entering the email in the notification fields again, saving, logging out and back in, removing the emails from the notification fields, and saving again, seems to have fixed the problem!

I assume some setting was not updated properly on the server? Strange though…

In any case, all solved for now. Thanks for the help!
More
5 years 6 months ago #174134 by jelo

matthisd wrote: Unfortunately it does not seem to be a link to further information.

Click on the version number should display a modal window.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose