Don't display code in export function

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #172488 by laocoon
laocoon created the topic: Don't display code in export function
Hello together,

is there a way to NOT display code when using the export-function? Whenever I try to export my survey there is code displayed which is not shown when doing the survey online.

I attached an image to show what i mean.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #172503 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: Don't display code in export function
Which export function?

Are you a student conducting a survey? If yes, tell me why you use LimeSurvey?
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116...y-you-use-limesurvey
The following user(s) said Thank You: laocoon

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #172505 by laocoon
laocoon replied the topic: Don't display code in export function
It doesn't matter which of them I use, Printable Survey or queXML(pdf), I always get some of the code displayed in the output file as seen above.
Attachments:

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #172513 by holch
holch replied the topic: Don't display code in export function
Well, this code is relevant for the question. What do you expect to be shown instead? Without the code, the question actually doesn't make any sense, as you are showing numbers calculated based on previous questions. Of course this is not very readable for your respondents, but what do you want to have there in the first place? I don't see much you can do. You could copy the survey and delete those codes from this copy. then they won't show up. But what will you put into those fields instead?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, LouisGac, laocoon

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172685 by laocoon
thanks for your answer. I guessed that the code could been left out by an option, so that it just would'nt be printed. the fields would be just empty. It's not going to be handed out to any respondents, it's just for purpose of review the whole survey.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172693 by LouisGac
LouisGac replied the topic: Don't display code in export function

laocoon wrote: It's not going to be handed out to any respondents, it's just for purpose of review the whole survey.

seeing the logic of questions is extremely important for a review.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172703 by krosser
krosser replied the topic: Don't display code in export function
I'd also like to add here my concerns with the export into PDF function and/or printable version. It would have been great to be able to have it like it's shown in the browser - with all workarounds in place (e.g., text fields over arrays, etc.) and with the hidden JS code and whatnot. The print-out also skips the design template.
I mean for the internal use it's fine, but for presenting the survey to others, who would like to see the end result, it's useless. So you can only show it electronically...

I'm using the latest LS 3.15 hosted on LS servers, not installed locally.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172706 by LouisGac
by definition, a survey is dynamic: question can be shown, hidden, skipped, depending on branching and logic, so I guess if you want to show it as it looks like on a web browser, you must show it "electronically".

Also, taking screenshots of a series of web pages automatically is not something that can be done via a PHP script. It implies browser emulation (with for example PhantomJS), and that completely out of the scope of LimeSurvey. I suggest you'd rather have a look to applications done for that purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krosser, laocoon

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172708 by Joffm
Joffm replied the topic: Don't display code in export function
Hi, all,
in my opinion all these export options are not thought to display the "look and feel" of the questionnaire.

"queXML"
exports a paper-pencil questionnaire to be manually filled and read in by a scanner and OCR software.
If you are planning this, any equation to calculate something is useless.

"*.txt" usable to edit the survey in a program like EXCEL or OpenOffice

And the *.html - with the logic - is important for clients to check the logic.
Here is as an example the export of a commercial software:

As holch said already: This expressions are calculated while running the survey. So what to display instead?

And the look and feel clients can see if they start the survey.

And to be honest: Developers should focus on the more important issues (loops, skips, dynamic lists, flexible grouping, access to quota, free choice of open category,...) instead of getting bogged down in "nice to have" trivialities.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, LouisGac, krosser, laocoon

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172863 by laocoon
Hello all,

thanks for your answers. I agree with Joffm that it's not the most important feature and the time of developers can be used for more important issues. I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172868 by jelo

laocoon wrote: I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.

I see. But if you use dynamic text via Expressions, the reviewer would need to check that too.
A lot of screenshot work depending on the length and complexity of a survey.

A test and review mode (disable filter, allow entering values to change behaviour) would be a nice feature, to allow review and translation feedback online.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7407

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172874 by LouisGac

laocoon wrote: Hello all,

thanks for your answers. I agree with Joffm that it's not the most important feature and the time of developers can be used for more important issues. I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.

to do so, I would suggest a CSV export (can be open in Excel) and then a CVS import

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #172892 by holch

I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on

We generally do this before programming starts within a word document. How is your work flow? Do you develop the questionnaire directly in Limesurvey? Generally, what we do is to create a word document, as it is a lot easier to discuss, review and work on than a programmed online questionnaire. You would describe the logic within this word document and you would also include programming instructions. Once this questionnaire is defined with the whole team, you might have a last revision of wording, typos, etc. and then it goes into programming. There should be basically no mistakes in the text. The main testing then is logic, which has to be done within LS anyway. I guess this is a common workflow in any research project and not very LS specific.
This doesn't mean that I don't think the preview / test mode of LS could be more helpful. I am totally in favor of Jelo's feature request here: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7407

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by holch.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172898 by jelo

holch wrote: We generally do this before programming starts within a word document.

Depending on complexity of the survey (multiple languages, routing, filtering) I prefer a spreadsheet.
For translation works some translators and surveytools support XLIFF ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLIFF ).

Feedback from customers are still coming in after you have an OnlineSurvey in the pretest phase. That's where the madness begins (Screenshots, E-Mails, Wordfiles etc..).

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #172900 by holch
In my experience most translators HATE Excel sheets. ;-)

Yes, there are always comments after programming, but the OP's description sounds more like first feedback on the questionnaire. I might be wrong.

For translation works some translators and surveytools support XLIFF ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLIFF ).

Sounds good, but with end clients in my experience Word is still the best way to coordinate the base version of the questionnaire.

Feedback from customers are still coming in after you have an OnlineSurvey in the pretest phase. That's where the madness begins (Screenshots, E-Mails, Wordfiles etc..).

I once got 40+ pages of fax with screenshots and comments back. When the secretary brought the fax I almost fell from my chair. The person that sent it, was responsible for all websites of a major european car manufacturer. He checked the survey link, physically printed each page, wrote his comments on it by hand and then faxed me the pages. Luckily most of my other clients knew how screenshots worked back then already.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!