Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Don't display code in export function

• laocoon
  • laocoon's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #172488 by laocoon
Don't display code in export function was created by laocoon
Hello together,

is there a way to NOT display code when using the export-function? Whenever I try to export my survey there is code displayed which is not shown when doing the survey online.

I attached an image to show what i mean.

Thanks a lot in advance.
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 7 months ago #172503 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Don't display code in export function
Which export function?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: laocoon
  • laocoon
More
5 years 7 months ago #172505 by laocoon
Replied by laocoon on topic Don't display code in export function
It doesn't matter which of them I use, Printable Survey or queXML(pdf), I always get some of the code displayed in the output file as seen above.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 7 months ago #172513 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Don't display code in export function
Well, this code is relevant for the question. What do you expect to be shown instead? Without the code, the question actually doesn't make any sense, as you are showing numbers calculated based on previous questions. Of course this is not very readable for your respondents, but what do you want to have there in the first place? I don't see much you can do. You could copy the survey and delete those codes from this copy. then they won't show up. But what will you put into those fields instead?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, laocoon
  • laocoon
More
5 years 7 months ago #172685 by laocoon
thanks for your answer. I guessed that the code could been left out by an option, so that it just would'nt be printed. the fields would be just empty. It's not going to be handed out to any respondents, it's just for purpose of review the whole survey.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #172693 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Don't display code in export function

laocoon wrote: It's not going to be handed out to any respondents, it's just for purpose of review the whole survey.

seeing the logic of questions is extremely important for a review.
More
5 years 7 months ago #172703 by krosser
Replied by krosser on topic Don't display code in export function
I'd also like to add here my concerns with the export into PDF function and/or printable version. It would have been great to be able to have it like it's shown in the browser - with all workarounds in place (e.g., text fields over arrays, etc.) and with the hidden JS code and whatnot. The print-out also skips the design template.
I mean for the internal use it's fine, but for presenting the survey to others, who would like to see the end result, it's useless. So you can only show it electronically...

I'm using the latest LS 3.22 hosted on LS servers, not installed locally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: laocoon
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #172706 by LouisGac
by definition, a survey is dynamic: question can be shown, hidden, skipped, depending on branching and logic, so I guess if you want to show it as it looks like on a web browser, you must show it "electronically".

Also, taking screenshots of a series of web pages automatically is not something that can be done via a PHP script. It implies browser emulation (with for example PhantomJS), and that completely out of the scope of LimeSurvey. I suggest you'd rather have a look to applications done for that purpose.
  • Joffm
More
5 years 7 months ago #172708 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Don't display code in export function
Hi, all,
in my opinion all these export options are not thought to display the "look and feel" of the questionnaire.

"queXML"
exports a paper-pencil questionnaire to be manually filled and read in by a scanner and OCR software.
If you are planning this, any equation to calculate something is useless.

"*.txt" usable to edit the survey in a program like EXCEL or OpenOffice

And the *.html - with the logic - is important for clients to check the logic.
Here is as an example the export of a commercial software:

As holch said already: This expressions are calculated while running the survey. So what to display instead?

And the look and feel clients can see if they start the survey.

And to be honest: Developers should focus on the more important issues (loops, skips, dynamic lists, flexible grouping, access to quota, free choice of open category,...) instead of getting bogged down in "nice to have" trivialities.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, LouisGac, krosser, laocoon
  • laocoon
More
5 years 7 months ago #172863 by laocoon
Hello all,

thanks for your answers. I agree with Joffm that it's not the most important feature and the time of developers can be used for more important issues. I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.
More
5 years 7 months ago #172868 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Don't display code in export function

laocoon wrote: I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.

I see. But if you use dynamic text via Expressions, the reviewer would need to check that too.
A lot of screenshot work depending on the length and complexity of a survey.

A test and review mode (disable filter, allow entering values to change behaviour) would be a nice feature, to allow review and translation feedback online.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7407

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #172874 by LouisGac

laocoon wrote: Hello all,

thanks for your answers. I agree with Joffm that it's not the most important feature and the time of developers can be used for more important issues. I had to give the survey to someone to check for spelling mistakes, formulation and so on, so that's why I asked. I did screenshots of every page and that worked fine, just thought that I missed an option. Thanks for discussion.

to do so, I would suggest a CSV export (can be open in Excel) and then a CVS import

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose