Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can I transfer the answers from one survey to another?

• jma6610
  • jma6610's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #171575 by jma6610
I have a situation where participants will take an on-line survey (self-administered) and then volunteer for a phone follow-up that will be administered by an interviewer. I want the phone interviewers (my employees) to first enter a participant number for the participant they will speak to that I will provide from the on-line survey into a new Lime survey and then enter their own answers based upon a second set of questions into that new Lime survey. I want the interviewers to have access to the participant's original answers from the original self-administered survey.

Can this be done somehow?

Thanks in advance.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 8 months ago #171576 by Joffm
Hi jma6610,
some quesions:

based upon a second set of questions into that new Lime survey

the same questions as in the online survey or different questions?

I want the interviewers to have access to the participant's original answers from the original self-administered survey.

I do not understand that. What is "access to answers"?

If the answer of my first question is "yes", you might consider something like "iterate survey"
manual.limesurvey.org/Iterate_survey

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
5 years 8 months ago #171584 by holch
I assume you want your CATI interviewers to be able to see the answers that were given by the respondent during the online interview.

You just take the responses from the first survey and include them as custom attributes into the token table of the second survey. Then in Limesurvey you can display these answers to the first survey into the questionnaire of the second survey, so that the CATI interviewers can see them.

Something like: {TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_1} should show the first attribute of the token table, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• jma6610
More
5 years 8 months ago #171585 by jma6610
Holch, you have the general idea about what I want to do. The solution you've proposed might work, but I'm not sure that it saves me any time if I understand what's involved. Can you tell me if I'm correct in what I've written below:

If I have 1000 research participants and wanted 3 CATI interviewers to speak to 21 out of the 1000 participants (7 participants for each of the 3 CATI interviewers), and I would want the 3 interviewers to have access to 2 answers from the 21 (e.g., sex and age) I would have to set up a token table with 2 custom attributes, and 21 tokens, and I would have to manually enter the sex and age for each of the 21 myself, so the 3 interviewers would have access to the answers of the 21 participants in the second survey used by the interviewers.

But I can easily give each interviewer a print out quickly generated from statistical software (e.g., spss) with the prior answers so each interviewer could manually enter these instead of me. So unless there is some way for me to program something so that the 2nd survey (and CATI interviewers) could automatically access the answers from selected participants (either directly from a prior survey or perhaps a spreadsheet generated from the answers to the prior survey), I'm not sure it's worth the time.

Is the above correct, or am I missing something?

Best,

Jeff
  • holch
More
5 years 8 months ago #171586 by holch
You don't have to do this manually. You can import the token table via csv. Now I don't know if this is quicker, easier, better than just printing the answer, but it is for sure cleaner, when you show the answers to these questions directly in the questionnaire. But then it is also only 21 respondents and two answers. For a big sample it would be definitely worth it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• jma6610
More
5 years 8 months ago #171587 by jma6610
Okay, I now see what you mean and I have a test working. My prior post was just an example. In reality I'll have 60 to 200 records to use with about 20 or more variables/answers to transfer - so it will be worth it. I think this will work well since I can create the .cvs file using SPSS code from the answers from the first survey.

Thanks very much,

Jeff

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose