Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Limit amount of responses - without using quotas

More
5 years 11 months ago #168053 by dotxm
Is such a thing even possible?

We have a survey that has been running for 4 months now, with exactly 41 full responses in each month.

The numbers of invitations vary, and so does the number of incomplete forms.

This is a simple 1 page survey, with everything displayed on that one page.

My fear is that somewhere at the beginning I tested an option, and it created this limit.

Can anyone please point me to possible directions? I do not think that this is a topic for a bug, as it is most probably the result of a setting.

Thank you!
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 11 months ago #168056 by jelo
I'm not aware of a setting inside LimeSurvey. Many of us would be happy to have such a limit setting ;-)

What version of LimeSurvey is used? Is the survey using tokens?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #168057 by holch
Is this self hosted or a SaaS, for example from Limesurvey Pro?

Otherwise: Like Jelo. I would love to have such a limit, but there is no option in Limesurvey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168058 by holch
You could do a test and fill more than 41 interviews in a given month and see what happens when you reach the 41 participants limit. Just note down which responses are yours for the testing.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 11 months ago #168075 by dotxm
Thank you all for your replies!

This is a self hosted 2.73.0+171219 version. I tried upgrading to 3.x but it completely broke my skins so this will have to wait.

Every week we send invitations with tokens to participants, and in the last month I added myself in the last line of the participants file, in order to see that I am getting the invitation - which I did.

The weirdest thing is that when I fill-in the survey after the 41st respondent, I have no problem, no error message or notification, and there are now 42 respondents that filled-in the survey.

But getting exactly 41 responses each month - 4 months in a row - is just too much to be a coincidence.

BTW, the respondents may be the same from one month to the other. What I do in order to limit them to a monthly reply is:
- Use a unique ID column in the respondents file as the 'token' column
- Add 'YYYYMM' to the end of the ID

So for example ID '0038000001lveEu' becomes the token '0038000001lveEu201803' in March 2018, and then '0038000001lveEu201804' in April, and thus can get a monthly invite.

The tokens are being imported fully and correctly, including the leading zeros.

Does it ring any Lime bells?
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #168077 by rcha88AA
I would say it's a coincidence, weirder things have happened in history :)
Hopefully next month the numbers are different for you.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by rcha88AA.
More
5 years 11 months ago #168145 by dotxm
Indeed.

I will update the thread next month.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168156 by holch
If you can fill in the form to get to 42, I don't think that there is any limit set.

You most probably have exactly 41 people in your sample that are willing to respond. Have you checked if it is always the same tokens responding? With your token system you can make a timeline. If I would have to guess, you'll see that each month exactly the same people respond. That is actually not to suprising, if you always ask the same people.

More
5 years 11 months ago #168210 by dotxm

holch wrote: You most probably have exactly 41 people in your sample that are willing to respond.

That is an interesting theory!

I checked it, and while there are quite a few repeating respondents, the majority are unique.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168241 by holch
OK, then we can rule this out. Everything ruled out brings us closer to the real issue. But as you could go further than 41, I assume you just have been very "lucky". I would find it strange as well and would do some research, but from all evidence that you presented so far, I would say the best explanation is "chance".

• holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168242 by holch
On other thing: how big is the total universe of respondents? 50? 100? 200? 1000?

More
5 years 11 months ago #168360 by dotxm
Every month we send invitations to about 70 people.

The survey started on January, and up until now we invited 1,177 people, and received 41 responses each month.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose