Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Creating a "Test Battery" with LimeSurvey

• NielsFro
  • NielsFro's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164850 by NielsFro
Hi everyone, I'm wondering about an issue that I did not yet find an answer to...

Imagine that I have three different surveys: 1, 2 and 3. Depending on the respective participant, I want him to either
  • Complete one of these surveys (easy)
  • Complete two of these surveys (1 and 2; 1 and 3; 2 and 3)
  • Complete all of these surveys (1 and 2 and 3)

As the surveys should not be completed without any break, I would like to use "connectors" in between the surveys, to make sure that the participant rests for (e.g.) at least five minutes before starting the next survey.

To avoid one very long survey in which I could use certain logics to hide questions/question groups, I'd like to use a function to connect them.

The in my eyes biggest problem is, that all surveys already have token tables with dummy tokens created which might complicate the connection.

To provide a better idea, I describe a short scenario:
  • Participant A is supposed to complete all three surveys
  • In each survey, one of the dummy tokens is assigned to him in the participants list
  • Participant A receives an invitation Mail to complete Survey 1
  • When Participant A completes survey 1 he should be forwarded to a page where he has to wait for a pre-defined amount of time (e.g. a 5 minute countdown before he can click "Next"
  • After clicking "Next", he is forwarded to Survey 2 (important: we need to use the correct token here)
  • etc.

I'm very grateful for any ideas! :-)
Niels
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164853 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Creating a "Test Battery" with LimeSurvey
Are the tokens different for each survey or does the same respondent have the same token for all surveys?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NielsFro
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164858 by jelo
You can import the same token list to all three surveys. So that is no hurdle at all.

If you want to split the whole thing into three surveys, you need to add variables to the EndURL.
These variables are needed when you redirect respondents to the different surveys.
You might use quota to skip surveys.

Survey 1 -> Survey 2 -> Survey 3

The idea to pause for x minutes is a very bad idea inside a survey.
That is not working in Real-life very well.

Depending on the amount of questions I would recommend to put all surveys in one survey and add a few pages with content that will motivate to rest. No idea what that will be. Depends on your respondents.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • NielsFro
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164863 by NielsFro
Replied by NielsFro on topic Creating a "Test Battery" with LimeSurvey
Thanks a lot for the answers! Is it possible to use the end url feature even if I don't have the same tokens in all three surveys? My options are a bit limited as the surveys are already created...

Thanks in advance
Niels
  • holch
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164889 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Creating a "Test Battery" with LimeSurvey
Using the same token will make things a lot easier. So why not upload a new token table? You can do that even if the survey has been created already. I assume they are not running yet.

If you use different tokens, you will probably have to do a lot more, e.g. create custom attributes in the first two surveys to indicate which token the person has in the next survey. If you always have the same token, things are a lot easier and it will make it also a lot easier for you to join the results of the different surveys and connect them with the same respondent.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• NielsFro
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #164971 by NielsFro
Thank you, holch, for your answer and your hint to use custom attributes - I know, this is more complicated than uploading identical tokens, but it really helped a lot!

I have created a custom attribute called nextURL (it's the fourth custom attribute in my participant table) and set the EndURL in the survey settings to {TOKEN:ATTRIBUTE_4}

now I can define the nextURL for each participant in the participant table and it works just as I wanted :)
  • NielsFro
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #165013 by NielsFro
Addition to my last comment: I decided to use conditions in the End Message to direct the participant to the next survey (instead of using the EndURL).

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose