Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

What is the difference between participant ID and token?

• teenlab
  • teenlab's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #159016 by teenlab
hello!
we are using limesurvey for our project for the first time.
we want each participant to have an unique id that is created with our own classifying system
so, each participant will be CLxxx (CL100, CL101...)

But on the survey system, when i want to enter a new participant, it just shows that the ID is "auto". I assume auto generated.

So i wonder if we can attribute unique ID to each participant ourselves, or is that what the token is for?
I haven't activated the survey yet so I don't know what will the webpage look like. Will i be asked to enter an ID and a token? Or just a token and ID is generated afterwards?

If there's no way to change the ID assigned, when we collect the data, will the token be the identifying name assigned to each participant?

thank you!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 6 months ago #159020 by Joffm
Hello,

Exactly, the participants ID is auto increment.

The TOKEN is more or less the password. With this the respondent logs in to answer a survey (in cloed surveys).

I don't recommend to use this for your classification.

The best way is to add a new TOKEN_ATTRIBUTE.
This you can use inside the survey, especially if this classifies your participants.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • tpartner
More
6 years 6 months ago #159028 by tpartner
Note that the survey needs to be non-anonymous or else there will be no connection between the token and answers tables.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
6 years 6 months ago #159042 by DenisChenu
Hi,

token->tid is a the id in the token table. But you have token->participant_id , it's used by LimeSurvey for global participant table. But you can use it in API if you don't use global participants.

Currently you can not use {TOKEN:PARTICPANT_ID} because Expression manager dislike underscore. But i have a plugin to use TOKEN:PARTICPANTID or TOKEN:PID in replacement.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose