Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Subheadings for number array (with responsive support)?

• Magnar
  • Magnar's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148882 by Magnar
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to LimeSurvey itself but worked a lot on custom LS templates for my company since fall 2016. This is the first scenario where I'm hitting a wall.

I have a question with a number array using the checkbox layout. The rows include multiple names and descriptions, with ten columns featuring a two-point rating (good/bad). I want to split these columns into five categories, f.e. Price, Support, Quality etc.

Here's an example of how it's solved right now:

What I want to do is to remove the column description in the headings and put them in their own row at the top, like this:

Is there a way to achieve this in LimeSurvey? And if so, is it compatible with the new responsive layout?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148936 by holch
The column layout should be doable via Javascript inserting another line on top of the table. I am sure Tpartner has posted similar solutions before here in the forum.

But I see a different problem, because you are using one question, where you actually would need 4. Because the way out layout it right now, people could mark all "good" AND "bad" at the same time.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
  • Away
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148996 by tpartner
Rather than an array, which does not behave well responsively anyway, I would use multiple questions for each "row" (a checkbox followed by 4 list-radios) and merge them with CSS so they appear to be single questions. This would give you a vertical alignment that works well on phones.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Magnar
  • Magnar's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 days ago - 7 years 3 days ago #150142 by Magnar
I apologise for the late reply, unfortunately some other things took priority over this matter and I lost sight of it.

holch wrote: Because the way out layout it right now, people could mark all "good" AND "bad" at the same time.

Personally I agree with you, but according to our survey admin that's not an issue as it "would pass as a neutral answer". Another problem might be how the JavaScript approach would perform on small devices ...

tpartner wrote: (...), I would use multiple questions for each "row" (a checkbox followed by 4 list-radios) and merge them with CSS so they appear to be single questions. This would give you a vertical alignment that works well on phones.

Floating them together for example? Generally sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't that require a whole lot of CSS in order to keep it responsive? Not to mention that the amount of questions would increase drastically ... it'd create some confusion when firing up the survey statistics, I presume.
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Magnar.
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
7 years 2 days ago #150172 by tpartner
I don't mean floated - that implies side-by-side - I meant merged vertically.

Regarding the number of questions and stats view, I don't see any difference, you are already asking several questions per array row and the would not be compared in stats anyway.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose