Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

About the features list page

• Ben_V
  • Ben_V's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #147022 by Ben_V
About the features list page was created by Ben_V
I was looking at the new LS feature list page:

www.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/features

This new page is now more about detailed options of commercial services than about the software features.

In my opinion this page itself is lacking good/fair relevant additional information and/or a complementary page (old one like) with all the features of the open-source software have to be also available somewhere else on the domain to avoid confusion (e.g. SSL, logo, space, answers count etc.).

Ben.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 months ago #147064 by holch
Replied by holch on topic About the features list page
Yes, I agree. I didn't expect the "integration of Limeservice into Limesurvey.org" going that far. Before there was a clear separation between the commercial offerings and the opensource project. Now it seems a little bit that the open source community gives support for a commercial project. I understand that the Limesurvey GmbH must make money, but I am not too happy how the "integration" turned out. One example is this feature page (which I had not noticed before), another is the fact that it is now pretty difficult to tell someone to get in touch with the Limeservice support, as NOW it is the same website. I can't (and won't) give support for Limeservice issues, but for a new user coming to the forum it is hard to understand why.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, Ben_V
  • Ben_V
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #147076 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic About the features list page
Hi Holch,
I also agree with all you said... Personally I like the way WordPress separated -and keep separated- its .org & .com domains; Unfortunately the option to merge limeservice.com with limesurvey.com was probably not enough promising according to incomes possibilities (yes I know WP is a big machine)..

For new users wanting to know what they can do if they download and host LimeSurvey open-source Software:

LimeSurvey 2.x [at least] currently offers:

• Unlimited number of surveys at the same time
• Unlimited number of questions in a survey (only limited by your database)
• Unlimited number of participants to a survey
• Multi-lingual surveys
• User-management
• 28 different question types with more to come
• WYSIWYG HTML editor
• Quotas management
• Integration of pictures and movies into a survey
• Creation of a printable survey version
• Conditions for questions depending on earlier answers (Skip Logic / Branching)
• Piping and Micro-tailoring using a powerful expression engine
• Re-usable editable answer sets
• Ready-made importable questions & surveys
• Assessment surveys
• Anonymous and Not-Anonymous survey
• Open and closed group of participant surveys
• Optional public registration for surveys
• Sending of invitations, reminders and tokens by email
• Option for participants to buffer answers to continue survey at a later time
• Cookie or session based surveys
• Template editor for creating your own page layout
• Extended and user-friendly administration interface
• Back-office data entry possibility
• Survey expiry dates for automation
• Enhanced import and export functions to text, CSV, PDF, SPSS, R, queXML and MS Excel format
• Basic statistical and graphical analysis with export facility
• Screen Reader Accessiblity
• W3C compliance
• A detailed manual is available in several languages in our Online Manual Supporting more than 80 different languages in frontend and backend

Benoît

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch, tpartner
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #147427 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic About the features list page

Ben_V wrote: Hi Holch,
I also agree with all you said... Personally I like the way WordPress separated -and keep separated- its .org & .com domains; Unfortunately the option to merge limeservice.com with limesurvey.com was probably not enough promising according to incomes possibilities (yes I know WP is a big machine)..

Really need a better separation on Forum : www.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issues/1...m-with-tables#147424

Bug reported : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12071 but other LimeSurvey CE helper/supporter are welcome ;)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147431 by holch
I have sent an email to Carsten a few days ago about this topic and seems like they are aware of this issue and are working on restructuring the website providing a better separation.

@Denis: I know which thread you are referring to, but in this case there is no way the user knows that this is a Limesurvey Professional specific problem. I did not notice it and it took you a while as well. So there will be cases like this.
I have no problem to give support to users that are clients of Limeservice/Limesurvey Professional or any other provider (often we don't know it anyway). But provider specific problems need to be referred to the provider (same if the it is a problem with the hoster).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago #147433 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic About the features list page
Yep Markus is creating a brand new template for the website, with new textual content, etc In cooperation with a designer agency.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #147445 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic About the features list page
Here, it's the last example , but really knowing if user are at LimeSrevice or not made helper work really more easy ....

I didn't talk PHP dev or existing plugin to a limeservice user for another example.

And We have already user asking for price information etc ....

I don't say i didn't help LimeService user about this core functionnality or something else

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147451 by holch
I know Denis, you are together with Tpartner the top contributer here in the forum.

And I agree that it is not ideal to mix this, which is why I wrote a lengthy email to Carsten. Because it was also not clear where to send those Limeservice users with their specific problems. Before I could just refer them to Limeservice.com, now it is difficult to tell them that we can help them, because Limeservice/Limesurvey look like the same thing. But we had similar problems before, where we did not know that the problem we were trying to resolve were actually hosting / provider / limeservice problems. I guess there will never be a 100% clear seperationg. But of course with the integration of Limeservice into Limesurvey it became worse.

Let's wait and see if they come up with a good solution.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #147482 by LouisGac
well first thing: thank to all of you for helping.

Also, in the point of view of the forum, there is no real difference between a LimeSurvey Professional Hosting user or someone hosting their LimeSurvey installation by their own, or on a big hosting provider. It's just another LimeSurvey installation hosted somewhere.

The main difference is that people hosting their LimeSurvey installation on LimeSurvey professional hosting support the development of LimeSurvey. Instead of giving their money to a random professional hosting provider who doesn't care about LimeSurvey, they give money to LimeSurvey Gmbh, helping to make LimeSurvey better. So, like people buying premium packages for the ComfortUpdate, they deserves a special attention, a better treatment.

That's why they can access to the "Support Ticket" system. If they have any problem with their installation, someone from the team will as soon as possible help them, could connect to their admin interface to do what have to be done, or remote connect via SSH to the server to do the needed tasks. So we encourage them to use the ticket support system rather than the forum.

It's in the interest of all the LimeSurvey users, or professionals using LimeSurvey, that the professional hosting works fine, that people love it, and that people use it. The more money will bring the LimeSurvey SAAS, the more programmers we'll can hire, the better will be the next versions of LimeSurvey. We're all working for the same goal.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by LouisGac.
  • Ben_V
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #147484 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic About the features list page

Louis wrote: there is no real difference between a LimeSurvey Professional Hosting user or someone hosting their LimeSurvey installation by their own, or on a big hosting provider. It's just another LimeSurvey installation hosted somewhere.

Hi Louis,
yes of course, but for example it's useless to enter in details with a user wanting to implement a complex autocomplete solution if he/her don't have a self-hosted installation...

Like Denis I think that exactly know the hosting conditions it's a valuable information as well as LS version used.

Maybe we can encourage users to provide this info (self hosted or not) in their profile footer.

Benoît

The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
7 years 1 month ago #147488 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic About the features list page

So, like people buying premium packages for the ComfortUpdate, they deserves a special attention, a better treatment.

I'm sorry Louis but, as a volunteer, I'm having a hard time understanding why I should donate my time to folks who have a paid subscription and therefor have access to a professional support system.

My understanding of my role here is to support people using an open-source package, not to help Limesurvey GmbH make money.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch, Ben_V
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #147489 by LouisGac
Sure, better that you help OVH or Gandhi to make money. Makes a lot of sense.

Again: we strongly encourage LS Pro Hosting users to use the ticket system.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by LouisGac.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose