Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple short texts with an exclusive option

• srocky
  • srocky's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #141672 by srocky
Hi there,

I have one quick (I hope) issue:
Is there a possibility to create a multiple short texts question and add checkbox 'I don't know any' on the bottom which would exclude all text fields?

Thanks in advance
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 6 months ago #141673 by jelo
A workaround is to create a multiple-choice question with one item "I don't know any of them above".
Place that question below your multiple short textquestions. Leave question free to put the question nearer to the textquestions.
If you have put the multiple short textquestions mandatory you can put a condition on the question.
If ""I don't know any of them above" it checked the question above will be hidden. That way you can ensure that the mandatory is only enforced when ""I don't know any of them above" is not checked.

A feature built into LimeSurvey to allow placing such confirmation items in the questions would be nice. But I cannot see it coming soon.
It's all about workarounds here.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • srocky
More
7 years 6 months ago #141675 by srocky
jelo, thanks for your advice.

Could you please tell me how to set a condition which would hide short texts question while an exclusive option is checked? I've tried to set this condition, but LimeSurvey allows only build condition based on previous questions - if I place this multiple-choice question below then it is treated as next question, so I can't refer to it.

Thanks a lot
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #141676 by jelo

srocky wrote: I've tried to set this condition, but LimeSurvey allows only build condition based on previous questions - if I place this multiple-choice question below then it is treated as next question, so I can't refer to it.

You're right. Are you familiar with relevance fields in groups and questions?
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...tion-Level_Relevance
The multiple shot text question has a field "relevance equation". In this field you need to place a equation which gets true when the item of next question is NOT checked. You might try "is_empty(questioncode_of_your_checkboxquestion)" or directly check the subquestion (see next Link to see the variables for relevance checks).
See the last column how relevance is used with certain questiontypes. It's a bit overwhelming at the beginning but give it a try.
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Qcode_Variable_Naming

Feel free to post a exported survey of these two questions. That might help to get the equation right.
Can you tell us, what version/build of LimeSurvey you use?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by jelo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: srocky
  • srocky
More
7 years 6 months ago #141677 by srocky
Thanks jelo - it works :)

I've used 'relevance equation' as you said and this question disappeared. Many, many thanks!

I'm using version 2.50+ Build 160415 by the way.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose