Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Map Results in quasi-anonymous fashion (USA)

• jlpoole
  • jlpoole's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #132144 by jlpoole
I recently deployed a survey (v. 2.05) within the Napa, California, about whether people cared about having a replacement supermarket at the location where a major Safeway supermarket in downtown Napa closed. I used the Google Maps feature for a short text field and asked people to identify the city block they lived in so I could tabulate some type of geographical perspective. Then I took the data and performed a spatial analysis against the U.S. Census blocks (blocks a just that -- an area of land bound by natural features or streets) to determine which answer came from which block. I then created a layer displaying the sum of votes for each block.

I had several complaints about being unable to move the marker as instructed, especially by hand-held devices.

Here is a screenshot I took from OpenJump where I did the layering and rendition: imgur.com/a/wxtO3
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by jlpoole. Reason: cleaning up some revisions after learning of an image size limit
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 1 month ago #132180 by berritorre
Replied by berritorre on topic Map Results in quasi-anonymous fashion (USA)
Sounds interesting.

But I am not quite sure what the question is. For a tutorial on how to do this there is not enough information.

For anything else I am missing the point/question. :-)
  • jlpoole
  • jlpoole's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #132186 by jlpoole
Replied by jlpoole on topic Map Results in quasi-anonymous fashion (USA)
I have no question, I was just sharing an approach to using survey results. You have to run a PostGIS database and be able to perform some basic geospatial analysis with the survey results, specifically taking the coordinates and then finding the shapes they fall in. It's complicated, but do-able if you are familiar with SQL and PostGIS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: berritorre

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose