survey in multiple languages

More
2 years 8 months ago #130424 by ckolar
ckolar created the topic: survey in multiple languages
Hello. I am a long-term LS user, but this is a new use for me. I have a survey that is going out in English, and I am having the text translated into Spanish and Mandarin. There is a lot of stuff on internationalization, but I have not run across my use case.

1. Is it possible in the general settings to add those two languages to the server. I am assuming that all of the internals/navigation would then be switched. Does the language switch function allow the user to choose. I am guessing that I can also reference the language in the url if I know that I am emailing specific groups.

2. Or am I totally wrong and I need three separate surveys -- the questions and order is the same, so I will just be going through and replacing the English text with the translated text. I am assuming that at the end of the day I will get data output that I will be able to combine.

If anyone can point me to a good step-by-step for administering bilingual surveys I would appreciate it much. Thanks,

chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #130427 by tpartner
tpartner replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
You can add languages in the Survey properties --> General settings --> General tab. The survey flow and structure is exactly the same in all languages. The language switch does allow choosing a different language and, yes, you can define a starting language in the URL - after adding languages, you will see several survey URLs in the main admin interface.

Cheers,
Tony Partner
Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171928 by jessicapidoux
jessicapidoux replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
Hi , I have the same issue as chris. I wonder if there is an easier way to translate my questions through the GUI instead of doing it by changing the files.
I don't really understand the user guides maybe because I lack computing skills.

I added french and german on my survey and can see the new url's but where can I add the translation?

When i click the url's it takes me to the preview survey mode.

Thanks,
J
Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171931 by Joffm
Joffm replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
Hi, Jessica,
you see - when you edit the question, or subquestions one sheet for each language.
Here you enter the translations.

Here in this last picture you see that in "French" you cannot change the code, only the text.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171932 by jessicapidoux
jessicapidoux replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
Thank you Joffm. Forgive my ignorance...

Your expertise is priceless but shines like gold.
Jessica

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171933 by Joffm
Joffm replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
Or you can use the "Quick translation"

In menu "Settings / Presentation"

Selecting this you get a lot of sheets where you are able to translate all texts.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Attachments:

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171937 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: survey in multiple languages
For quickest translation, i use a lot "export as TSV"/"import as TSV" after editing.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #171940 by jelo
jelo replied the topic: survey in multiple languages

jessicapidoux wrote: Hi , I have the same issue as chris. I wonder if there is an easier way to translate my questions through the GUI instead of doing it by changing the files.

What is your issue? Your screenshot is not showing a question screen.
Just go to a question and you'll find boxes to enter text in different languages.

Are you a student conducting a survey? If yes, tell me why you use LimeSurvey?
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116...y-you-use-limesurvey

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!